• Will the 3001 run again?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC_Dave

ELKHART -- At least two companies want to pay the city for the right to rehabilitate a one-of-a-kind passenger steam engine it owns. But Mayor Dick Moore isn't convinced the benefit is worth the cost of losing the rare piece of machinery for 15 years. "I'm not sure, from the mayor's point of view," he said, "that it's a practical thing to do."
The world's only remaining L3A Mohawk passenger steam engine currently sits at the city's New York Central Railroad Museum. At least two companies, Moore said, have offered to lease the engine for $5,000 annually for 15 years. The companies would then invest about $1 million into the engine to get it up and running, then use it for excursions and other tourist activities. The city would also receive a small portion of each ticket sold on ventures associated with the train. At the end of the lease, the engine would be returned to Elkhart.

The above quote is from the eTruth. The entire article may be found at http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.a ... Email=true

Question: Does anyone know who the two companies are that want to lease the locomotive?
  by lvrr325

Must be nice to be doing so well up there they can afford to pass up a chance to make even a small amount of money.
  by Otto Vondrak

I'd like to know more about this story... I'd love to see a REAL New York Central steam engine return to the rails!!
  by TCurtin

NYC_Dave wrote:
The world's only remaining L3A Mohawk passenger steam engine
You could make a stronger statement that that. It's the world's only NYC steam locomotive of ANY kind that has the "classic" look of NYC steam. To see that run again would be an astounding thing
  by R Paul Carey

3001 is a dual-service locomotive, designed for and operated in passenger service, and yes, with her drop-coupler pilot, she's the only survivor with the unmistakably "classic" NYC "look".

2933, on the other hand, was a freight locomotive.

T Curtin's got it right!!
  by Richard1

The mayor of Elkhart is very short sighted to block the leasing of #3001 so it can be restored. Who wants to visit a railroad museum to look at rust buckets? At the least, the 3001 should be cosmetically restored and put under cover to protect it from the elements. Ever since this engine was returned to Elkhart from Dallas it has just sat out in the open rusting away along with other pieces of equipment. For as long as I can remember this railroad museum has been trying to raise money to preserve this locomotive, but doesn't seem to have two nickels to rub together, let alone purchase 1,200 gallons of paint to even cosmetically restore a 4-8-2!
  by Typewriters

R Paul Carey wrote:3001 is a dual-service locomotive, designed for and operated in passenger service, and yes, with her drop-coupler pilot, she's the only survivor with the unmistakably "classic" NYC "look".

Guess that depends on one's idea of what the "classic NYC look" is, which has nothing to do with intended service...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-s3001adl.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-s3001ass.jpg

http://www.transportmuseumassociation.o ... al2933.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-s2931s.jpg

I would submit that if anything 3001 has a late, not 'classic' look. But I'm not trying to start a flame war here - merely pointing out that another large, identifiably NYC steam locomotive still exists.

-Will Davis
  by TCurtin

R Paul Carey wrote:3001 is a dual-service locomotive, designed for and operated in passenger service, and yes, with her drop-coupler pilot, she's the only survivor with the unmistakably "classic" NYC "look".

I should have realized a comment such as I made would start this festouche (especially since I am a New Haven guy treading in dangerous waters by making an authoritative statement about NYC steam). Anyway, my comment was prompted by the "classic" drop-coupler pilot on 3001, whereas 2933 has a footboard pilot.
  by lvrr325

It's not a complicated thing, really, a group is looking for a heritage locomotive from a Conrail predecessor or NS predecessor to return to operation for excursion service. This happened to be one of the ones they looked into for consideration for use. It's not the only one. But there aren't any that don't have some issue or other before they could be restored, let alone used.
  by 2behind1

Any time the officers or the head of a Museum do not speak on behalf of a project, I would be more than suspicious of the motives. This is especially true when the volunteers go in front of a camera and speak on behalf of an organization, without, I assume, the knowledge of the officers.

If a known restoration company compiled a report, you would have seen them on museum grounds opening smokeboxes, and underneath the running gear. They would have been visible to all, and would have drawn much attention.

The "terms" which were discussed sound like a playbook from the 1980's. One million dollars may buy you 3/4 of a restored engine, but that's it. Don't be fooled with, "but it had Class 5 repairs before being retired". That was sixty years ago. Things rust and are damaged by ice, water, etc.
Something is amiss, and the officers of the museum really need to make an official statement about this for their own credibility.
  by lvrr325

Whether or not the group thoroughly inspected the engine, I don't know, but the engine is one that was considered for use.
  by Tadman

Interesting. I grew up about 20 miles west, and I make it back every month or two for a day. Elkhart has been very hard hit by the recession. I wonder if they're holding out for more money or what. That said, this is a dangerous game. Look at what happened with MILW 261. There was a two-year fight between the museum that had no use for it but wanted more money, and the Friends of 261, who had restored it and turned it into one of the most successful operating locomotives out there.
  by Noel Weaver

I would love to see this engine operating on a main line BUT it is far more involved than most people realize. Most railroads do not want any extra movements involving passenger trains and especially steam locomotives on their property. They tie up their railroad, people and resources no end. The only benefit for the most part is the good will that such activity would generate.
A locomotive of this nature that has been idle for well over 50 years would basically need to be re-manufactured from the ground up and this would require a huge amount of work, materials and money. Even if this was to be accomplished the owners/operators would have to find a railroad that was willing to allow it to operate. That would also be a huge problem.
Even if all of this could happen, the cost of operating such a trip would price the tickets at such a high price that many people simply would not be able to afford the price to buy a ticket to ride.
As I see it, the only hope for something like this is for some devoted supporter to hit big time on the LOTTO or POWERBALL or some other jackpot, then MAYBE it would work.
Noel Weaver