• Why is being a railfan considered weird?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by B&Mguy

I've been photographing old train stations in my region for about 10 years now. It's been a very interesting hobby that has taught me a lot, and that I am passionate about as well. This is just one of many hobbies for me. I hike, mountain bike, kayak, read, write, and enjoy watching sports. I also have a very active social life, and have had several girlfriends.

For some reason, I'm a little hesitant to tell people about my station photography because I feel like I'd be lumped into what the common conception of a railfan is. (socially awkward, obsessed with trains, can't get a girlfriend).

Why is liking trains considered to be so strange? For me it's one of many hobbies, and it doesn't define who I am. Also, for any railfans reading this, do you keep your railfan hobby quite to avoid being lumped in with the crazy ones?
  by 3rdrail

B&Mguy wrote:For some reason, I'm a little hesitant to tell people about my station photography because I feel like I'd be lumped into what the common conception of a railfan is. (socially awkward, obsessed with trains, can't get a girlfriend).

Why is liking trains considered to be so strange? For me it's one of many hobbies, and it doesn't define who I am. Also, for any railfans reading this, do you keep your railfan hobby quite to avoid being lumped in with the crazy ones?
To each their own, there, B&M Guy, but I couldn't care less what people think of my railway obsession. You will find that a majority of those who would ridicule you (depending on their age) are either adolescent pre-adult flunkies or adults who's life revolves around sitting on a bar stool or putting powder up their nose. I'm proud of the knowledge and imagination which I know goes with this interest and won't ever be convinced that I have a problem because of it. (P.S. - Look at my profile. I think that you'll get the sense that I'm not exactly socially awkward and life experiences hesitant.)
  by 2nd trick op

Looking back on over fifty years, I'd have to say that there is a certain degree of unusual chemistry between the institution of railroading and certain personality types. Look up the "What is a Foamer" thread, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. And it's also true that railroad buffs don't always make good railroad employees, or become disillusioned once they're hired and discover the demanding nature of the job. A person with a stronger background in psychology could probably provide a better explanation of the relationship, and I'm sure more than a few pages of serious academic inquiry have been produced.

But having made that point, I also believe that the hobby can be a very satisfying outlet for those who keep things in perspective. The observation of a very wide-ranging, mulitcultural institution, which has existed and successfully adapted for nearly 200 years connotes a desire for stability. And I can remember that ever since early adolescence, whenever the stress increased in my personal life, I would gravitate toward spending somewhat more time around the industry. Just as some people seek solace in nature, some occasions at trackside have provided me with some of my deepest, and most satisfying moments of personal reflection.
  by umtrr-author

Well, some people are insecure enough to consider anything they don't do to be "weird."

Being a railfan, as opposed to a sports fan, for example, doesn't do much for the economy, i.e. it "doesn't sell beer" in the major media. (The "Mr. Miniature Train Modeler" edition of the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" advertising notwithstanding...) So it's not in the best interests of those who have interests elsewhere to present this hobby in the best possible light. Nothing against the other pursuits people have specifically, but a little more tolerance would be nice.
  by B&Mguy

Thanks for the replies, and all of your points are good and make a lot of sense.

I have no regrets about my station photography hobby, I just hate knowing that if I told some friends about it, I'd then have to explain why I do it, and it just seems easier to not bother telling them about it. Like I said, this is just one of the many things that I do in my spare time. I'm just wondering why lots of mainstream society seems to think that all railfans are strange people who are obsessed only with trains.
  by 3rdrail

2nd trick op wrote: Just as some people seek solace in nature, some occasions at trackside have provided me with some of my deepest, and most satisfying moments of personal reflection.
Just a quick add-on, and I'll speak for myself only - In my case, the trains are a deep part of me. As I stated, I don't really care if persons that I don't care about know my interest (notice that I don't use the term "hobby", as for me, it's far more). For persons that I do care about, I want them to know me as I really am. I'm certainly not out to impress anybody on this planet, and any relationships that I have, I want them to see me for who I am.

I quoted Mr. 2nd trick op as I found this particular sentence of his to be extremely profound, and it might have come from me. Throughout my life, whether it be death, divorce, break-up, negative work experiences, etc etc etc., I have always found solace in the world of trains. I found that during my divorce, when my layout and equipment were being held as hostage... er, I mean for "assets inventory" and I was away from it, I found myself at the annual West Springfield Model Train Show. Rarely have I felt so "out of the loop" as I did that day when I had no layout to return a newly purchased loco to or whatever from the show. I felt like a car buff who's license has been revoked.

The reason that I have gone into this is to try to explain that this is more than a casual part of my being. I know that there are many like me who also engage in this, generally an extremely healthy, clean, and positive interest. There is nothing to be ashamed of.
  by atsf sp

I feel the same reservation telling someone I am a railfan at first. But once the person gets to know me, I tell them. But I am not always focused on railroading 24/7. I have other hobbies, and a life. Railfanning is always fun but there are those friends that you don't want to talk about it with, because they don't understand a single word you are saying. Don't ask a common person about how to identify a RS-1 vs. A RS-3.
  by Aji-tater

Liking trains does not make you weird. However, statements like "The B&M still exists in the minds of those who believe" might suggest to SOME people that you MIGHT be. I suppose its passenger trains are ridden by Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the World Series winning Chicago Cubs, and honest politicians.

;-) To let you off the hook, here's your line: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway". If anybody asks, tell them that and walk away.
  by atsf sp

Aji-tater wrote: To let you off the hook, here's your line: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand anyway". If anybody asks, tell them that and walk away.
Well it depends. Sometimes you have to justify yourself when you know the person knows you like trains. Like I had to explain to my girlfriend why I was excited to spend a day in Fitchburg by taking a train to see trains. But when I got home, she asked if I saw what I wanted. But that line works if a random person asks you.
  by Gadfly

It is the extreme ones that get remembered and cause other buffs to be labeled "wierd". If you've ever been "followed" home by one of them, you'd understand!!! :( I had one to go to the trouble to locate my residence one time, and he thought everybody lived and breathed trains 24/7. And *I* ought to be so enthralled with 'em, I wanted to talk about this stuff ALL the time!!! SHEESH! I hated to be unkind, but I had to tell the kid to SCRAM because he'd show up at my house at the oddest times (supper, lunch, bedtime, family time,) and he thought there was nothing at all unusual about it!!! :( He sent me a wedding invite a couple years later, but I didn't RSVP! LOL! :wink: Is there any wonder?

Gadfly
  by 3rdrail

Gadfly wrote: He sent me a wedding invite a couple years later, but I didn't RSVP! LOL! :wink: Is there any wonder?

Gadfly
You should have gone, dressed up as a locomotive.
  by atsf sp

3rdrail wrote:
Gadfly wrote: He sent me a wedding invite a couple years later, but I didn't RSVP! LOL! :wink: Is there any wonder?

Gadfly
You should have gone, dressed up as a locomotive.
Now that would be a weird railfan.
  by Gadfly

Oh no! I'd have probably "let off too much steam" or left in a "huff"!!!!! LMAO!!! :P :P :P

:-D It just occured to me!!! Remember the kid on the Christmas movie "The Polar Express"---the obnoxious one in the GLASSES, the know-it-all??? He reminds me of the kid that bugged ME those years ago!! :-D This boy rode his bicycle 8 miles across town to find me. It DID creep me out! :( THAT kid on the train is the image I have of so many rail buffs!!!!! :wink:

Gadfly
  by atsf sp

That kid is the epitomy of a person who you do not want to talk to the common man. That person gives us a bad name. But here we could talk like that and that person in the movie gave the wrong specs on Pere marquette 1225. But I wouldn't say that to anyone on the street.
  by David Benton

actually i think the average person does understand our interest in trains . You just have to look at the number of public that attend train shows .
not many people that dont wave to a train driver either . or stop and watch one go by . mind you , our trains are alot shorter than yours .