• Where do you do your training?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Eric357

This is more specifically for the BNSF. Do you do your training in the city you apply for or the city you currently live in? I live in Fort Worth and know that the BNSF is here but I dont know if they have classes here.

by freshmeat

I was hired in Arkansas City and we did all of our classroom training here. We work in all the yards between Ark City and Gainesville and one or two within easy driving distance.

by Eric357

freshmeat wrote:I was hired in Arkansas City and we did all of our classroom training here. We work in all the yards between Ark City and Gainesville and one or two within easy driving distance.
Did you find out where you will be working yet?

by freshmeat

I finally had the opportunity to corner the trainmaster this morning and flat asked him what would be happening upon finishing the course. He informed me that he was going to open a few slots up on his boards and several other trainmasters in the local area were going to do the same thing. Hopefully I will be able to commute if possible. Seems that their bonus is calculated on how much money they spend. There are also "loan out" opportunities. This is where you are loaned to a remote or distant location, paid your normal wage and then extra. Plus the co. pays for room and board while on loan. It would be a good way to pick up some extra cash, experience and seniority without displacing classmates with a family for the time being.

BNSF is going to have to do something. I worked with a conductor from the extra board and he had just had his first 12 hour rest period off in two weeks. Before long there is going to be an accident and it will be attributed to crew rest and the judgment against the carrier will make the extra $100,000 per conductor pale by comparison. Most extra board conductors are working 8-12 on, 8 off, 8-12 on and so forth. At noon today, the extra board had exactly 5 people rested out of 21.

In all honesty, if you think this is something you can tolerate, now is the time. Where I work the retirements are already beginning. The next 3-5 years may get rough, but beyond that you'll be considered an old head.

Good luck.

by steamboy

Freshmeat,

Not trying to stir things up, but what's the union's position on the lack of rest and overworking? Are they going head to head with management on this?

Besides the accident factor, your health is at issue also. At that pace, you have to wonder how many folks will be out sick or injured.

Stay safe.

Bob

by freshmeat

I know the union is ocncerned but other than that, I really don't have any information. I know the UTU sued UP over the issue and UP is supposed to be hiring a lot of people but from what I hear, that hasn't materialized as of yet. UP is hiring but not in adequate numbers to avert another near melt down.

I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks when I finally mark up. I finish training a week from today and the boards are supposed to open up some.

Perhaps our local should contact the union's HQ and get info on the suit against UP and see what it took to shake things loose for them.

Thanks for asking.