• Where can I get promoted to hogger?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by rail

Here is my problem. I currently work for CN. I want to get promoted to engineer. CN does not promote from within they hire from other railroads. I was wondering if there were any railroads that will be short engineers in the near future. So that if I hire out I will not be a conductor for long and will get promotion. I have 3 years experience on the ground.

by CSX Conductor

CSXT will only hire within, but by seniority basis (oldest per terminal each time they call a class to school). However, they tend not to hire "professional-hires". Also, as you may be expecting already, you will start out as a new man on the bottom of the roster. :wink:
  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Were you not told about their procedures before you hired out????? :( You don't get to run any over there? I thought that the CN was a good comany to work for????? What is your family status like--married-kids?

CSX has been advertising on the employee web site for conductor help at several ---I said several locations. They pay $750.00 a month housing allowance or put you up in a motel at home terminal and pay for all away from home terminal lodging. They give you $12.00 for meals for every day worked-plus any money your allowed to claim for job. They pay your mileage to and from the transfer location 1 time.

Plus they give you $5,000.00 for a six month stay plus all normal pay.

If I had no senority and no family---this is what I would be doing for a couple of years----to make time past faster.
  by ENR3870

rail wrote:Here is my problem. I currently work for CN. I want to get promoted to engineer. CN does not promote from within they hire from other railroads. I was wondering if there were any railroads that will be short engineers in the near future. So that if I hire out I will not be a conductor for long and will get promotion. I have 3 years experience on the ground.
Where on CN do you work?? I work for CN out of Vancouver, BC and they only hire from within for hoggers.

by cifn2

I swore the application I filled out for the IL division said promotion to locomotive engineer was likely after 1 year of service too.

by rail

I work on the former Wisconsin Central Division. We are the red headed step child of the CN. They do not take care of the employees here. Add to the fact that the union is very new here. Only ten years old. I made a mistake I came here for the $$$$$ and was told that I would be promoted. Not the case they have hired off the street.
I would not care so much about the promotion, but I think that the one man crew thing will be here very soon. I think that I need to get that card.

by ENR3870

rail wrote:I work on the former Wisconsin Central Division. We are the red headed step child of the CN. They do not take care of the employees here.
It's like that all over CN, not just the WC Div. You could try getting out of the WC Division, get on with the former IC or GTW.

by jz441

In most places on the BNSF and UP takes about 2-3 years to get to the engine service. I heard that on the former IC division treatment is much better and you will get a chance for the engine service. You would most likely have to claim some type of family hardship to transfer out of WC. If you can get out, go to the big terminal like Chicago.
Good luck!

by BlackDog

rail wrote:I work on the former Wisconsin Central Division. We are the red headed step child of the CN. They do not take care of the employees here. Add to the fact that the union is very new here. Only ten years old. I made a mistake I came here for the $$$$$ and was told that I would be promoted. Not the case they have hired off the street.
I would not care so much about the promotion, but I think that the one man crew thing will be here very soon. I think that I need to get that card.
Say what? WC/CN hasn't hired engineers for a long time, pre-merger that I'm aware of.I know of one that transfered in from the IC...that's about it. I have heard rumblings about an engineers class (haven't had one since the merger) but that may just be sandhouse gossip.

PM me, we'll chat.

by GOLDEN-ARM

ANY Rail*America property will promote you fairly quickly, and with a decent rate of pay, and most likely a Union job, to boot. Trouble with going that route, is that CN won't hire you back, as an engineer, because your "seat time" won't be won't be with a Class-1 railroad. They do hire engineers from the street, but ONLY with class-1 running time, usually a 2 year minimum. Kind of a "catch-22" for you. Quit, and go running, without being able to return, or stay and hope to be picked for a class, someday....... :(

by CSX Conductor

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Kind of a "catch-22" for you. Quit, and go running, without being able to return, or stay and hope to be picked for a class, someday....... :(
I'd suggest the latter. Besides, everybody is so concerned about getting their license, but nobody wants to be a conductor anymore........at this rate the occupation of conductor will be even easier to eliminate. :(

by cifn2

I would be more interested in Conductor..... at least to start out... Engineer isn't something that I am even considering right now.

by Chris_S68

Heck, maybe I should try CN. I liked working on the ground. :wink: