• Where are trains most likely to derail?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by slashmaster

I want to set up my camera to video trains in spots they are most likely to derail. Trying to figure out what it is? Is it Low jointed track? Is it banked curves where they only go 5 mph? Is it area's with the poorest drainage? Is it switches? Is it kinks in curves? What else can I look for in trying to find the best spot?
  by Gerry6309

Derailments are very hard to predict. Look for spots with lots of wheel marks in ties - that is your best bet, but remember - Trespassing is illegal and dangerous - especially in those locations.
  by BR&P

Well said!

I believe you would have better odds of hitting the Powerball than happening to film a derailment at a place you selected for that purpose.
  by diburning

The affected sections of track on the Watertown Branch have been replaced, although the branch is no longer used (shortly after the replacement, Newlywed Foods stopped receiving cars of flour from Guilford. Guilford's train BO-1 has not run in years. Newlywed Foods now gets their cars into boston via CSX where they are unloaded and the flour trucked to them from Beacon Park Yard.)

Also, about half of the watertown branch was purchased by the city of Watertown and has been turned into a bike trail. The other half (from the switch off of the MBTA Fitchburg line to Watertown Mall) is still owned by Guilford.
  by 3rdrail

BR&P wrote:Well said!

I believe you would have better odds of hitting the Powerball than happening to film a derailment at a place you selected for that purpose.
Not if he lived in the era of the Penn Central ! :-D
  by 3rdrail

Hahahaha!!!!
  by EDM5970

Someone missed the obvious here; with the gift of an ability to predict derailments, anyone with such a gift should become certified as a track or equipment inspector and hire themselves out to PREVENT derailments. Some consultants make real good money.
  by Georgia Railroader

If you know someone who can predict things like when a derailment will happen, tell him to hit me up
with the winning Power Ball numbers
  by jgallaway81

Russ is right. Its why lately on teh warm days, NS has "Heat Patrols" out on the mainlines.

They appear without warning and are sharp enough to derail a self-steering radial truck.
  by BR&P

Where are trains most likely to derail?

* At the farthest point from a terminal where wreck equipment is kept
* In tight quarters which make rerailing difficult
* In an area of mud or slop
* On a Friday afternoon when you are anxious to get done and get home
* In rain or wet snow, never in nice warm sunshine
* where they will tie up the most traffic
* and just before some hot train arrives to use that same track