• Wheatsheaf Lane (Foot) Bridge Over NEC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by SubwayTim

Does anyone know if the Wheatsheaf Lane foot bridge over the Northeast Corridor near Frankford Junction is for public use??? If so, I was thinking that would be a great vantage point for photographing/video recording SEPTA, Amtrak and NJT trains, as well as the nearby Market-Frankford Line, since where it crosses over the NEC appears to be within close proximity to the foot bridge. If that bridge is open and for public use, is the neighborhood in that area safe? Thanks.
  by SubwayTim

The EGE wrote:Recent Street View imagery indicates that the bridge is not open for pedestrians.
By looking at that image, you could probably at least walk up to the top of the steps where the barricade is and still get a good view of the NEC trains, since the steps don't appear to be barricaded.
  by Patrick Boylan

I've driven within viewing distance of that bridge at least twice a year, I agree that you can't get across it, I don't remember if it looked like you could get to the top of the steps, but will report back next time I can get a look.
It's a pity I don't have a quick favorable answer, wouldn't today with its 16 degree high temperature be perfect?

I can remember reading a railfan guide decades ago that recommended that bridge for its view of the NEC. The neighborhood's pretty desolate, middle of nowhere.
  by SubwayTim

Patrick Boylan wrote:I've driven within viewing distance of that bridge at least twice a year, I agree that you can't get across it, I don't remember if it looked like you could get to the top of the steps, but will report back next time I can get a look.
It's a pity I don't have a quick favorable answer, wouldn't today with its 16 degree high temperature be perfect?

I can remember reading a railfan guide decades ago that recommended that bridge for its view of the NEC. The neighborhood's pretty desolate, middle of nowhere.
I'm thinking about going there in the spring, or if/when we get a warm sunny Saturday before then, to see if I can at least walk halfway up the steps for a decent view and hopefully get some good photos of trains. Even if the steps are accessible, I would look them over before attempting to climb them to make sure they don't appear to be on the verge of collapsing, or I don't risk having them give out from under me, as they do look quite rusty and dilapidated.
  by Patrick Boylan

SubwayTim, please quote only when you need to. Someday you may need the electrons you wasted today.
  by SubwayTim

Patrick Boylan wrote:SubwayTim, please quote only when you need to. Someday you may need the electrons you wasted today.
What do you mean by that???
  by 25Hz

You know, i thought for a second when i read this topic they were adding a crossover in fallsington at the end of wheat sheaf lane.... That would be awesome.. oh well. -_-

There are several closed and/or removed pedestrian access points in PA. Would be neat to have some restored, especially to enhance local connectivity. This one looks great, hope they re-open it some day if possible.
  by glennk419

SubwayTim wrote:
The EGE wrote:Recent Street View imagery indicates that the bridge is not open for pedestrians.
By looking at that image, you could probably at least walk up to the top of the steps where the barricade is and still get a good view of the NEC trains, since the steps don't appear to be barricaded.
It's obvious that a good amount of the protective sheathing over the ROW has deteriorated or been removed. Even if the bridge is structurally sound, you'd be dancing with the catenary up there and the best picture in the world is not worth that. Even though it's at ground level, you might be better off at the area of the old Frankford Junction station although that may very well be posted and patrolled by Amtrak PD at this point (no signs obvious from Streetview).

As for the neighborhood, it's pretty quiet and fair to iffy during the day and you probably would not want to be lugging around a lot of expensive camera equipment. I used to get the creeps being there alone 10 years ago.
  by trackwelder

yeah, that's a really rough part of town.
  by SubwayTim

glennk419 wrote:
SubwayTim wrote:
It's obvious that a good amount of the protective sheathing over the ROW has deteriorated or been removed. Even if the bridge is structurally sound, you'd be dancing with the catenary up there and the best picture in the world is not worth that. Even though it's at ground level, you might be better off at the area of the old Frankford Junction station although that may very well be posted and patrolled by Amtrak PD at this point (no signs obvious from Streetview).

As for the neighborhood, it's pretty quiet and fair to iffy during the day and you probably would not want to be lugging around a lot of expensive camera equipment. I used to get the creeps being there alone 10 years ago.
It's a shame I didn't discover that bridge 20 or so years ago, when it was probably still open to pedestrians. As for my camera equipment, all I basically have at the moment is a $200 14mp Nikon point-and-shoot digital camera I bought at Walmart a little over 2 years ago, which fits very easily in my pocket. Also, I would have my dog with me for added security!!!
  by alewifebp

I always wondered why that bridge existed in the first place. Anyone have any history of what was in that area that would have necessitated a bridge of this sort?

Regarding good camera shots, chuchubob always finds a good spot in that area. Edit: spoke too soon, as chuchubob just responded while I was writing this.

I looked at the street view, and the area seems to be one in transition. A new Lowes and a Walmart is being built, or already built.
  by SubwayTim

chuchubob wrote:the view from the Wheatsheaf Lane bridge on Thanksgiving Sunday, 2007
What was a MARC train and NJT (Arrow III) train doing in Philly on Thanksgiving Sunday, 2007???
  by The EGE

Amtrak rents a couple sets of commuter equipment on Thanksgiving Sunday for WAS-NYP runs to supplement regular service. They're not up to the standards of regular Regionals - a fact Amtrak is explicit about on their booking page - but they work well enough for the one day a year where a) the commuter equipment is not running in commuter service and b) the demand far outstrips the available seats.