• What was the small building East of the Dover Frieght house

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by njtransitrookie

My Grandfather had a business on Sussex street in Dover for about 50 years and of course when I used to spend time at the store when I was a kid I noticed all the RR activity going on. My question is this : what was the small concrete building a couple hundred feet east of the frieght house and west of the station and Dover tower. It was in between the main and the spur that went behind the frieght house. it had windows facing the main and was always manned. What was this ? What year did they stop using the frieght house for lcl. or any frieght for that matter ?

by njtransitrookie

Anyone ? Paul T. ?
  by henry6

Crossing/gate watchman...operated gates at Morris and the next street before 60's circa automation. He had schedule, listened to dispatcher's line, was in contact with tower if need be...he probably had an approach bell, especially from the west, too.

by njtransitrookie

Thank you! What can you tell me about the frieght house? I got my first cab ride from one of the hoggers whom was a customer at my grandfathers store. Since it was abot 38 years ago and I new nothing much about the RR I can assume it was an RS-3 or GP-7 for which they kept 2 behind the Dover frieght house.
  by henry6

Couple of good places to look: Tabers' three books on the DL&W; Lowenthal's books on Mining Railroads of NJ and Lackawanna In Northern Jersey; Cunningham's Railroads of New Jersey. All available in local libraries as well as at hobby shops and Whippany railroad museum gift shop. I believe the freight house lasted well into CR but was gone by the time NJT took over. Used to be a full freight yard with turntable for freight engines up 'til electrification I believe. LCL was done in the mid 60's.

By the way, which was your grandfather's store? I might have known it and him. Although I remember Camelbacks on the JC in Dover and the rolling mill too, I am very vague on Dover. I lived in Denville until leaving for college in '61 but my grandparents lived on Pequannock St. one house in from RT46, went to DeMolay in Dover, and had a few friends there, too.