• What to wear for UP hiring session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Tecro

I have my first hiring session with UP next week. What kind of clothes should I wear to this? Jeans with a button up or polo shirt or dress slacks and dress shirt?

by slchub

Don't be a dork and show up in a suit and tie. Go ahead and either wear some blue jeans and a decent button up shirt (tucked in) with a collar or polo shirt and if that is much to casual for you, then dockers are okay. I would go with either black or blue dockers though.

Good luck.

by Chris_S68

The advice I was given a long time ago is to dress the part - look like you could start work right then and there. That means, if you're looking to work in an office, a dress shirt and slacks are fine. If you want to go into train service or one of the trades, dress appropriately, but don't look like you've just come off a 12 hour shift of digging ditches either. Neatness is key.

by LCJ

Trust me on this: Don't wear a ball cap, either indoors or backwards. It exudes disrespect. UP is a very conservative organization.

by Chris_S68

LCJ wrote:Trust me on this: Don't wear a ball cap, either indoors or backwards. It exudes disrespect. UP is a very conservative organization.
heh
I guess this is one of those things that was once considered a given, but probably has to be pointed out for some nowadays. Kinda like chewing gum or wearing sunglasses. While we're at it, leave the ipod in the car, and turn off the darned cell phone. :wink:

by chrisjz

I guess I was an exception to what you guys are saying. When I hired out with NS I wore a black suit and tie and was conditionally hired on the spot. Maybe it depends on who is conducting the session and interview. In the end all I think is necessary is to dress in a way that conveys respect to the people conducting the interviews; shorts, sweat pants, T-shirts and the like are a definite no-no. Use your best judgment and you should be fine.
Last edited by chrisjz on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by LCJ

I believe UP is rather unique in that respect. They are very much a western road, and their culture reflects that. A suit on a prospective train service employee generally doesn't go over well out here.

by jg greenwood

LCJ wrote:Trust me on this: Don't wear a ball cap, either indoors or backwards. It exudes disrespect. UP is a very conservative organization.
Sage advice LCJ. Had an instructor in the BNSF engineer school that nailed some "cowboys" the first day of class account of their "penchant" for not removing their hats.
  by Tecro

Thanks for all of your responses. I appreciate your help.

by slchub

LCJ, we need to talk to the Milford boys about those hats!

LOL

All the best

by SteelWheels21

Here's another hint...wear something comfortable and loose. There's a good chance you will be doing your physical fitness test the same day as your regular testing, don't want to have a blowout doing your situps. I wore black track pants and a loose turtleneck and got one of the 4 slots available to 60 guys.

by YQT

The idea is to sell yourself.

Personally, if I was interviewing, and a guy wore either a baseball cap, running shoes, a t-shirt, or jeans; I wouldn't concider him.

You wanna be the guy or gal that stood out. Sure there is more to an interview than what you came dressed in. You got to realize that an interview is a professional event; so dress professional. (regardless of what job you applied for) I don't mean come in a suit; but dockers, a dress shirt, tie and dressier shoes will do.

Remember, it's you or the other guy; you want to make sure they choose you.

Also, I've never heard of any railroad have their physical the same day of the interviews. Maybe if it's stated in your letter, then bring a gym bag with a change of clothes, but still dressup.

by YQT

SteelWheels21 wrote:Here's another hint...wear something comfortable and loose. There's a good chance you will be doing your physical fitness test the same day as your regular testing, don't want to have a blowout doing your situps. I wore black track pants and a loose turtleneck and got one of the 4 slots available to 60 guys.

You wore track pants to an interview, and got the job?

What railroad was that? LOL

by hooked up

Yes, in the "old days", (this time last year), the UP did their physical ability test on the same day as the interview. In fact, it was part of the "weeding out" process that determined who got to go to an interview. Now, however, the UP does the P.A.T. AFTER you receive a conditional offer of employment.
As for dress, I attended two UP hiring sessions last year. First time I wore Dockers, a nice shirt and penny loafers: no offer. Second time I wore jeans and a flannel shirt and my steel-toed railroad boots, like I was ready to step on the next train (which I have been doing for the last 30 years): got an offer. Of course there are MANY other variables involved and your mileage may vary, this was just my experience.
After getting the offer, I did not get the job however, since I was never allowed to take the P.A.T. It seems that the new regimen requires that your heart rate be below a certain number when you walk in to take the test. Both tries I was too "excited" to take the test, even though I had already passed the UP physical with flying colors and proven that my "normal" heart rate is quite low. Just a word to the wise. :wink: