• What signals on Hell Gate line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by timz

It just occurred to me: I don't think I've ever seen a picture (old or new) of the signals between Shell/CP216 and Harold. Did it have semaphores when it first opened, before it was electrified? What were they replaced with? Is it all color-light now?

by krispy

It had semaphores after it was electrified, as the NH used semaphores in the electrified territory. In fact, I think the last of the NH semaphores in the electrified territory were on the Harlem River Branch, the last being at Pelham Bay, until about the mid 1980's I think. Eventually all were replaced with regular PRR style position light (not color light) signals.

Some of these are visible in Astoria Park which is a good place to watch the Hellgate Bridge, there is several on a signal bridge just south of the span. Some are also visible from I-95 just south of New Rochelle in the wooded area adjacent to the hwy.

For more information, try the NH forum for more info...

by fafafooey

the semaphores are still hanging on some of the poles on the line. most are missing the lenses. I had a chance to get one when I used to work the wire train years ago and never did. It ended up in the dumpster in Sunnyside yard : (

by timz

They're still hanging? In their old positions? But not in service I assume?

by fafafooey

I know of 2 semaphores that are still hanging. 1 is at the croosover signal at pelham bay interlocking (not the bridge) track 2. the other is the distant signal for the interlocking (around the old Van Nest shops also track 2) I believe they are both at STOP.