• What railroad do yu model?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

In N I model the BRW.

CF7, GP9, GP7, SW1500, GP8, McCarther.

by keeper1616

I model early to mid 90s Conrail and amtrack in upstate NY - F40PH and GP38s mostly
Last edited by keeper1616 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jnewman

It used to be CNJ in the 1950's-60's, but I've accumulated enogh stuff to begin to change over to SBB (Swiss Federal Railway) and DBAG (German Railway Company) in modern times.
Visit http://jnewman.m72express.com/railroad.html for a look.

NS!

by NsNscalerailfaN

Current Almost- post CR with CSX runthrough coal trains and locals (like my prototype)...Mainly run my Dash 9's on NS (have correct headlights now!)... Sometimes SD60M, SD60, B40-8, or SD50...I often mix in ex-CR's with patches. CP as well. GP38 and GP40-2 ex-CR for locals and a high hood GP38-2 in NS as well. Sometimes an 80MAC on my coal.... Every now and then a B23-7 in MofW service. CSX is mainly SD80MAC, SD70MAC, or my Dash 9's. Sometime dash 7's in MofW or Dash 8's and slugsets (under constuction) on locals........ 15-20 trains a day so I have variety....25-45 cars on road trains..... 15 or so on locals depending on the prototype.

by roadster

I model Conrail late period from 1985- split with a few pieces of CSX power. I also model the Lehigh Valley with vaious motive power from FA's and RS3, to C628's. I am currently constructing a small 32" by 78" late 50's layout which can be LV or NYC depending upon equipment used. The best is running the C628's with 50+ cars on the N-Trak module club layout.
  by jmp883

I model the Erie-Lackawanna as if it still existed through the 80's and 90's (although the most modern power is EL's SD45's). I also have enough D&H and LV power to model interchange operations with those roads. The history of the Greenwood Lake Branch on my layout website is of an EL branch that actually existed as far north as Wanaque, NJ until the mid 1960's. Now all that's left is the roadbed, still visible in most places from Wanaque north into Ringwood.

www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

by NJT4207

EL,NJT,NS,CR.I did some SD-80's in EL.An SD-60 also.A P-42 in NJT.Why not,it's my hobby!!!!! :wink:

by roadster

JMP883,
Check with your local hobby shops they may know of a N-Trak club near your area. That you could join. I only have a small layout and the larger power, cars, and passenger trains don't look well at all on it. I found an N-trak Module club in my area and get to run my SD80's on 50 - 60 cars trains, or NYC streamliner passenger trains, on their mains and they look great. Good luck.
  by N-railroader

I model an area south-west of Chicago. Mainly UP, but also SantaFe. Somewhere in the boonies,
UP exchanges passengers with ACL, and ACL w/ AT&SF...
Also some Amtrak trains are stopping in the West... ACL train is returning east from here.
Era in general around 71/72, but sometimes pure 50s, pure UP/AT&SF.
Passenger trains mainly "through", stopping only for passenger exchange, freights might stop for exchanging cars from/to branch line. Also branch line passenger traffic with Doodle bugs, RDCs or steamers (mixed traffic), freight with BL2 or SD7.

= Arnold ALCO S-2
= Atlas 0-8-0 (awaiting conversion to 2-8-2/2-8-0)
= Bachmann Dash 8-40CW
= Bachmann DD40AX
= Bachmann Doodlebug
= Bachmann 2-8-0
= Bachmann 4-8-4
= ConCor PA1/PB1
= ConCor DL109
= ConCor RDC 1/2
= LifeLike E6 AB
= LifeLike E7 AB
= LifeLike E8
= LifeLike BL2
= LifeLike PA1 AB
= LifeLike SW1200
= E8 (chassis from Atlas E7, body from Rivarossi E8 w/ 2 flywheels)

= ROCO DCC. :wink:

As NJT4207 said: Why not, it's my hobby!

by videobruce

NYC & PC (in that order) with a little EL thrown in on the side.

by FL9AC

I currently model Metro-North railroad, and Conrail/CSX. The layout is still in progress, but it doesn't hurt to get all the equipment ready :wink: . Takes a while to paint n-scale stuff!

-Kato F3 (custom detailed and painted as Metro-North F10 411)
-Atlas GP9 TT (Metro-North 750)
-Kato P42 Genesis (custom detailed and corrected as CDOT P32 AC-DM)
-Atlas B23-7 (painted as Metro-North's 800 series work engines)
-Atlas Conrail B23-7
-Atlas Conrail SD35
-Atlas/Kato Conrail

re

by mu26aeh

As soon as I get a house of my own, I may model CSX Hanover Subdivision in Maryland/Pennsylvania. Motive power includes many different locos and just as many paint schemes that CSX used.

by atsf_arizona

I model the Santa Fe's 'Peavine Line' in Arizona in the late 50's - early 60's - this is the Ash Fork - Phoenix branch off Santa Fe's transcontinental main line.

Here's a couple shots taken on the layout:

In the early 1960's, it was common for GP7's to be on the point of ATSF ice reefer trains parading
up and down the ATSF's Peavine line in Arizona, with loads of fresh vegetables heading north for Flagstaff and ATSF's transcontinental mainline, from there on to Chicago, Kansas City, and points east:

Closeup of the engines:

Of course, the previous black/silver Santa Fe paint scheme is also a real favorite of mine:

I still need to get weathering done on all my locomotives and rolling stock! (scary!)
  by alco-holic

I model the steam to diesel era like most modelers, but I do own some modern equipment and I run it on my Diablo Canyon Railroad. As owner and boss I can make my own rules. The layout is loosley based on the AT & SF railroad, and I live not far from the famous Diablo Canyon bridge for which my layout is named, it's my favorite railfan site.
A dear friend in Flagstaff did my layout plan, and it's great having a great friend close by to visit and talk to.

Brian Alco's forever!

by sjl

I model the St. J & LC RR, which was a short line in northern Vermont. I am attempting to re-create several photogaphs that have been published over the years. My layout includes the towns of St. Johnsbury, Greensboro Bend and Cambridge Junction, VT.

I have some of the LL switchers, painted in black and orange, as substitutes for the GE 70-tonners. (Doubt we'll ever see those in N.) I also have a pair of Spectrum 2-8-0's. These all have decoders in them -- I have a Lenz DCC system.

Basic scenery is in on about 75% of the layout, but boy do I need trees!!