• what does an assistant conductor do?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Steve F45

I saw a job posting for assistant conductor. The job responsibilities weren't really specific other then can be called with 4 hour notification, work outdoors in all types of weather.

My question is what exactly does an assistant conductor do on a transit rr?

by tr1467

maybe try cheking out amtraks site to give you some ideas unless you want to work freight

by Steve F45

will do. its not for amtrak but i just figured i'de ask on here.

i did a quick google and found this on mta/lirr.

In general, duties include assisting train crew in the safe and efficient movement of customers, performance of various freight and/or yard movement operations, mechanical troubleshooting/minor repairs of equipment, collecting transportation, making announcements, operating doors, handling emergency situations, coupling and uncoupling train cars, throwing switches, etc.

im going to apply. does anyone know what the typical pay is?

by DutchRailnut

Same MTA LIRR/MNCR sites show the salary range you start at 70% and get 5% raises till full rate every year.
pay is around $29 per hour

by Steve F45

im going to apply later today. Only thing is it dont say if its f/t or p/t. It just says they can call you upto 4 hours notice and your on an extra's list.

by DutchRailnut

All railroad positions are Full time. you may be working extra list with a 4 hour call . on MNCR you get a 2 hour call.