• What do you all think...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by beltonrailroad

4 weeks ago I took the test, and got my interview for the locomotive service tech postion at Kansas City for NS. I was in the top 4 out of 20 for 2 positions. I've heard nothing yet, BUT, someone did call my current job about 2 weeks ago to verify my employment, and NS is the ONLY place I have applied to. It wasn't NS, specifically, that called, it, according to the HR girl, was "like" a staffing agency. Nothing else I've done in the last few months would require job verification. THEN, last week, I got 2 NS newsletter e-mails. The 2 people that gave the tests stated that it would take 5 "or so" weeks to do the backround check. Am I being too naive in thinking they may still call after all this time????
Last edited by beltonrailroad on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by cifn2

Since you are new to the board, and I dont work for the railroad I will share a piece of advice some wise guys around here shared with me. Don't rush the railroad, they do things at slow speeds, and their own pace. When you least expect it is when most guys get the call.

by beltonrailroad

Thanks, cifn2! I have always heard the same thing, so...I'll just keep working the volunteer railroad, and playing with the GP-9 we use!LOL! It just adding to my experience!

Bob
  by keotaman

beltonrailroad wrote:4 weeks ago ...
Am I being too naive in thinking they may still call after all this time????
Sounds like you are still in the running. Even if the 2 front runners make it, they may be thinking of you for the next hiring. When I interviewed for electrician (testing & medical included), they said we'll let you know. Silence for 2 months, then on Thursday, they called & said if I was still interested, report to xxxx on Monday at 8am! That was 21½ years ago, & I've never regretted it.

Fix those hogs good now, ya hear?

BTW, the background check can take 4-6 weeks, & they won't budge without it. No false statements allowed.

by Grantham

Its the same the world over, it took two months from interview to phone call.

Mick

by GOLDEN-ARM

Since you are new to the board, I will offer this bit of advice. READ the other threads, under this employment board, and see everything you want to know, answered a thousand times already. Patience is not a virtue, with the railroad. It is a religion. Regards :wink: