• what do ya think?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bake

hello i'm a newbie to the forum. I want to know what you guys think about my chances. I went to a up train service hiring session this week. I passed the reading comprhension test and got an interview. things seem to go okay, but when i got home i remembered that i had an accident with a spiker back when i worked on a railroad about seven years ago. I totally forgot about it. he even asked me if i had any accidents when i worked on the railroad before. should i even worry about getting a call?

by bake

Come on, your telling out of forty people viewing this topic not a one of you has a opinion? geez! I guess i'll just wait and see if i get a call tonight. if not at least I can then reapply in 6mns. Otherwise if hired and then they dig that info up i would be terminated and could never get on with the up again.

by jg greenwood

bake wrote:Come on, your telling out of forty people viewing this topic not a one of you has a opinion? geez! I guess i'll just wait and see if i get a call tonight. if not at least I can then reapply in 6mns. Otherwise if hired and then they dig that info up i would be terminated and could never get on with the up again.
Your chances are akin to a snowball in hell! Is that what you wanted to hear?

by bake

thanks, at least i got a response.

by jg greenwood

bake wrote:thanks, at least i got a response.
You didn't give us much to go on. Did your accident with the spiker result in a reportable, lost-time injury? If so, come clean with the UP ASAP. Railroads hate lost-time injuries/workers comp. claims like the plague. Did your accident cost the railroad beau-coup dollars? Did your accident delay 10 Z-trains for hours? If it was a serious accident rest assured the railroad has it on-file somewhere.

by bake

Basically, we were headed to the hole for the night. I picked up two laborers. we were headed back and we came to a crossing. I stopped and the laborers were getting off cause thats were the gang bus was. Bamm! the spiker behind me ran into me. He wasn't going full speed so i don't no if he thought i wouldn't be stoppped that long or what, who knows? but anyway no one got hurt, just derailed the rear axels of my spiker held the gang up for a while. I don't think we held up any trains, but i don't remember. I didn't get time off or anything the guy that rammed me took a piss test and got three days off. I was pretty nervous going into the interview. I wasn't trying to hide it I just forgot . subsequently I didn't get called last night. I applied for another position with UP so maybe that one will come through. I also have apps in with BNSF & NS. they all run around my area. Thanks for the inqiurery.

by jg greenwood

bake wrote:Basically, we were headed to the hole for the night. I picked up two laborers. we were headed back and we came to a crossing. I stopped and the laborers were getting off cause thats were the gang bus was. Bamm! the spiker behind me ran into me. He wasn't going full speed so i don't no if he thought i wouldn't be stoppped that long or what, who knows? but anyway no one got hurt, just derailed the rear axels of my spiker held the gang up for a while. I don't think we held up any trains, but i don't remember. I didn't get time off or anything the guy that rammed me took a piss test and got three days off. I was pretty nervous going into the interview. I wasn't trying to hide it I just forgot . subsequently I didn't get called last night. I applied for another position with UP so maybe that one will come through. I also have apps in with BNSF & NS. they all run around my area. Thanks for the inqiurery.
It doesn't sound as though this would be that big of a deal. No injuries, minimal equipment damage, etc. I wouldn't think you would have anything to worry about. Good luck!

by thebigc

bake wrote:Basically, we were headed to the hole for the night. I picked up two laborers. we were headed back and we came to a crossing. I stopped and the laborers were getting off cause thats were the gang bus was. Bamm! the spiker behind me ran into me. He wasn't going full speed so i don't no if he thought i wouldn't be stoppped that long or what, who knows? but anyway no one got hurt, just derailed the rear axels of my spiker held the gang up for a while. I don't think we held up any trains, but i don't remember. I didn't get time off or anything the guy that rammed me took a piss test and got three days off. I was pretty nervous going into the interview. I wasn't trying to hide it I just forgot . subsequently I didn't get called last night. I applied for another position with UP so maybe that one will come through. I also have apps in with BNSF & NS. they all run around my area. Thanks for the inqiurery.
Geez, your gang put a spiker on the ground and you couldn't re-rail it and cover the whole thing up? :P

Like JG said, if the incident didn't result in a lost-time injury or wasn't deemed FRA reportable, I wouldn't sweat it.

by cifn2

that doesn't sound like that big of deal to me. Of course I am not a railroader. What is protocol when you stop on the rails? Do you have to radio the dispatcher? or do you just stop on the rails?