• What are these engines? (SD40-2's)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by mainetrain

Those are SD40T-2's. Depending on where you are may shed some light on why they were there so long. Outlawed, Metro North clearance, etc.

by ANDY117

Hmm...Are you on the Syracuse Main? That would be about right for a train to be tied down for an extended period of time. Up around Virgil or Messengerville is where they usually tie down.
  by 3shorts

The loco's parked behind the former Link factory in Hillcrest, NY.
They often stop in Chenango Bridge and go for lunch.
Doesn't it cost a lot to leave them just idleing for so long? Those are big engines and I presume use a bunch of fuel.
But RR's must have a lot of $ .
With me buying kerosene at $3.50 a gallon to keep warm I guess I'm just jealous.

by Noel Weaver

These engines have to be running all the time or they would freeze up, if
that happens the train will be there even longer.
There are always a number of reasons that a train can be left standing for
a rather long period of time.
Noel Weaver

by scottychaos

I thought there was some law against idling locomotives now?
maybe its PA, not NY.

I know in Sayre, PA Conrail and then NS used to keep engines idling all weekend! people complained..they dont do it anymore.
engines are now shut off all weekend.

Im sure this time of year (freezing cold) it makes more sense to keep the engines running, just because of the cold...even if its wastes fuel.

Scot

by ricebrianrice

The reason Railroads idle there engines is a couple of reasons.
But in the winter, Locomotives do not use antifreeze in there cooling systems, they use plain old water. (For a full explanation on why, look around this board I know we have covered it before)

Now we all know what happens to water in the winter, it freezes and expands, and just like your car if you had water in it instead of antifreeze, you would break your radiator, and possibly the engine block.

So the NYS&W idles their engine behind your house so they do freeze and get ruined.

Now why they are stopped at that point, and did not going into the yard downtown, is a good question? They also do this over in Chenango Bridge by my house sometimes, but I don't mind! :-D

BTW, nice picture.

by lvrr325

The liners on the cylinders are what's called a "wet" liner. Water can drip into the oil reservoir in the block and must be drained occasionally. Anti-freeze destroys the lubricative properties of the oil, so it can't be used.

In addition, a diesel is normally much higher compression than a gasoline engine and can be more difficult to start in cold temperatures.

Engines can only be shut down below 40' F if they have heaters installed. In the summer there are regulations about if an engine is to be idle more than a set period it should be shut down. Well, at least Conrail had those rules, I've no idea if CSX or NS continue them.
  by amtrakhogger

The crew could have outlawed and the train was waiting for a recrew.
However, 14hrs is a bit long for a recrew since the same crew
could have returned after 8 or 10 hours rest.

by amoreho1

i saw those units idling w/o a train up here in homer yesterday @ approx. 7:48am not sure if they were north or south bound

by GOLDEN-ARM

Most likely they weren't anywhere bound, if they were parked and idling...... :wink:

by ANDY117

If it's up in Hillcrest, then it's because they can't make it into the yard. Either CP has them blocked in, or they can't get into their yard without fouling things up. And that location is just the right size for most trains to fit in without blocking any crossings. They do the same thing at Old State Road with the shorter trains.

by joha107

That train is lined to go north, so it's just waiting for a crew to be available to take it to Syracuse.