• What a great source for info!!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by freshmeat

Mike:

Okay, I'll answer you.

I interviewed with the BNSF in Arkansas City, Kansas (Ark City). The job was conductor. I realize that in the new railroad, conductor means brakeman, switchman and conductor. Nothing new there.

In the orientation session, the trainmaster said we all had to agreee to a "primary recall" agreement. This agreement means that if you are hired out of location X, in this case Arkansas City, Kansas, you are subject to an involuntary recall to Arkansas City for a period of up to 5 years, regardless of where you might be working at the time. When the trainmaster was asked by me about how long me may anticipate working our first year, we were led to believe that we would all be working in Ark City until we were cut off after the December vacation season. No problem, right. He also said gave us the impression that it would be harder to get out of working at Ark City than getting back into Ark City. Everything OK, right? Wrong!

First day of class. BNSF hired 18 new conductors for 10 advertised jobs. This means that some of us are not going to be working at Ark City. Also found out that the 10 jobs is really 3 jobs! In checking the different conductor boards around the country, BNSF is on a hiring spree without any place to put a majority of the new hires. Being an employee, I have access to the seniority list for conductors. I have seen many locations where there are classes but only a few and I mean a few, openings. I'll go to work where I can find it, but they have made an enemy in me.

In the orientation session they mentioned something about a lot of retirements coming up in the next 3 - 5 years. That's great for them, they get newly trained conductors now, but will not employ them for another 3 -5 years.

The result is that almost all of my class is looking for jobs across the country. Too bad almost all of us have famlies and children. We knew the problems associated with trainservice when we hired in, but to be outright lied to about having jobs locally really chapps my butt. I left a good job to go to work for this company and I'm quickly developing a severe case of the ass for it. If they have done this to my class, I can only imagine what is going on across the country.

Being an employee, I have access to the seniority list for conductors. I have seen many locations where there are classes but only a few and I mean a few, openings. I'll go to work where I can find it, but they have made an enemy in me.

For me, I'll stick it out for now. I've made too big a committment to change back once again. If I can find work locally, I'll take it but the difference in pay is staggering. A girl I know marked up my first week of class. I just spoke to her and she is on the switchman's extra board because she could not hold the combo board. (Combo board is a combination of conductor, brakeman and switchman. Switchman is a yard job only, where the combo board can do long haul pool to yard work.) The difference in pay is $2,400 per month. Ouch! I don't mind the hours (almost always 12 at a time) or the hours of the day. The working conditions or the vast majority of the people I work with. but for the company to outright lie . . . is another thing. (Yeah yeah I can hear the old heads now. "What a sucker!")

I cannot speak about the UP but as for BNSF, I would be very careful. I've met other people who have experienced the same thing that I have. They promised a good job locally, now local may mean Chicago!

As a point of reference. My seniority date is May 24, 2004. There are 311 people below me on the seniority list for conductor trainees. On July 19, 2004, 35 conductor trainees began class.

I think I'll consult a labor attorney about this.

Good luck. You'll need it.