• West Shore grade crossing signal - W Henrietta Rd (Roch.)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by FarmallBob

Does anyone recall the unusual auxiliary grade crossing warning signals at the NYC/PC "Westshore" crossing at West Henrietta Rd (NY 15) in the 1960’s/early ‘70’s? They were provided in addition to the standard alternating red flashers at this location.

If memory serves the signals consisted of standard CPL (color position light) heads with lunar white in all 8 lamp positions. There was one head each for both north and southbound traffic.

In operation the lamps were energized/deenergized sequentially in a continuous circular pattern, with timing such that the pattern appeared to rotate around the target about 40 or so times a minute. Due to the relatively slow rate that signal lamps dim when deenergized, the aspect looked kinda like a white comet slowly circling the black target. At the time is was a pretty effective attention getter for motorists!

The crossing signals were removed when the ‘Shore bridge over W Henrietta Rd eliminated the grade crossing. Any of you who were in the Rochester area back then remember these, or recall seeing crossing warning signals like them anywhere else? …FB

by joshuahouse

Sounds like an interesting system, sounds like about a decade before I was born, but I'm wondering does anyone know if such 'non standard' warning lights were more effective at getting motorists attention?

by WNYRailfan

Is that system of a circular pattern common in those days? All of the people I talked to about the area only remember that before the overpasses, traffic on both W. Henrietta (US/NY 15)and E. Henrietta (NY 15A) used to back up for miles, when a train went through. I can only imagine the traffic headache that must have caused.

by BR&P

If I recall the fancy circular light was installed after one or perhaps more than one fatal car-train collisions.

by FarmallBob

WNYRailfan wrote:Is that system of a circular pattern common in those days? All of the people I talked to about the area only remember that before the overpasses, traffic on both W. Henrietta (US/NY 15)and E. Henrietta (NY 15A) used to back up for miles, when a train went through. I can only imagine the traffic headache that must have caused.
Suspect this signal was not commonly applied. The installation at W. Henrietta Rd is the only one I ever recall seeing.

I do remember as a kid (in the 60's) sitting in at least couple monstrous traffic tieups caused by trains stopped over the W Henrietta crossing. I'm guessing these stops were caused switching moves at Red Creek (less than a mile west of W Henrietta Rd), or perhaps by conflicting LV and/or Erie moves - both which crossed the 'Shore at grade at Red Creek. Anyway I had plenty of time to watch the "comet" slowly circle the target while we waited! ...FB

by Otto Vondrak

By "Red Creek," do you mean "Mortimer Jct.?"

It could have been that the special signal was designed by the local DOT, and installed by the railroad?

-otto-

by FarmallBob

Otto Vondrak wrote:By "Red Creek," do you mean "Mortimer Jct.?"
-otto-
Mortimer Jct indeed Otto! The 1895 topo survey map names the area "Red Creek". On the 1920 topo map the same junction was called Mortimer. The the LV timetable (probably also the Erie and WS) refer to it as Mortimer as well. ...FB