• Went to UP hiring session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SanAntoniostang

Ok guys I went to the UP hiring session this morning for trainservice . I was expecting alot of people to show up from talking to different people, but when I got there I only counted 20 people. I was like great I love these odds. Well the class gets started and they go through all the bad stuff and say if anyone wants to leave do it now. Two guys then got up and left. I was like great now I have even better odds. Next was the test I was a little nervous but just took my time it was 20 question and had 30 mins to finish. I was the first one done and about 4 guys didnt finish at all. Well next the instructor graded the test and called out the names of the poeple that passed. I got really nervous cause the stack that he was holding was really thin and I hadn't heard my name called out. Well finally he calls my name 2nd to last I knew I did really good on the test and most likely got a 100 or maybe missed 1.

So then the instructor tells us our interview time and I wait around for that. Out of the 10 guys that got an interview Im the only one with frieght experience and college experience. Plus there was one guy younger than me who was 19 and all the rest were from 32-45 and Im 23. I think I may have come off being the most prepared and professional of the bunch. Any time the instructor asked for questions I was pretty much the only one asking them and he would comment on how great the questions I was asking were. I think the interview went really well the two guys were joking around with me and said they got there college degree for 50 bucks off the internet. They asked some questions like why I want to work for UP and why I want to leave my current job. I told them why and emphized on safety and my safety record at work. I think it went pretty well and they said if they decide to offer me a job I will get a call on Thursday between 6pm and 8pm. They said they had 3 more hiring sessions to go so hopefully 10 people per session is the average to get interviewed and I have a good shot at getting the job. Wish me luck and I thank the powers at be for this forum I've learned alot in the short time I have been here.

by Hell Gate Fan

Good Luck! Keep us updated! :-D

by cifn2

good luck, and do keep us posted. As I will if I get to go to a session

by inkyrail

Definitely keep us posted! I was just invited for a UP hiring session myself. Train Service, West Colton. :-D