• Wegmans model trains in supermarkets

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by 25Hz

I've noticed 3 wegmans grocery stores i've been to all feature a large bit of track suspended from the ceiling in a loop and a model train rolling around on it endlessly in case anyone was interested. The two locomotives at warrington, pa & princeton, nj are both PRR GP-38's it seems. Not sure if they swap them out for different types ever, but they have working sound effects. The numbers on the locos correlate to actual PRR GP-38's and look identical to the real thing, which i think is cool.
  by scottychaos

As far as I know, *every* Wegmans has those trains! :)
I live in Rochester, NY (the home town of Wegmans) and I have been in every Wegmans in the area,
about 15 of them in "greater Rochester", plus I have been in some in Buffalo, Ithaca, Corning, Binghamton..
and every one of them has the train set.

"Wegmans has 81 stores in the mid-Atlantic region, in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts."
(from wikipedia)

Every one I have seen has a USA Trains (G gauge) EMD F3 or USA Trains GP30 locomotive, plus some cars with Wegmans labels on them.

Scot
  by umtrr-author

The original supplier of these trains was Ridge Road Station, which was a very large G Scale (and other scale) store out in Holley, New York. There were Ridge Road Station advertisements on some of the freight cars at one point; on containers atop flat cars for example.

I don't know who is maintaining the trains since Ridge Road Station closed.

Some of the local Tops Markets also have or had similar setups. I'm not sure who handled those.
  by scharnhorst

umtrr-author wrote:The original supplier of these trains was Ridge Road Station, which was a very large G Scale (and other scale) store out in Holley, New York. There were Ridge Road Station advertisements on some of the freight cars at one point; on containers atop flat cars for example.

Some of the local Tops Markets also have or had similar setups. I'm not sure who handled those.
I believe that one of the G Scale clubs in the Rochester area is being payed to keep things in order.
  by scharnhorst

scottychaos wrote:As far as I know, *every* Wegmans has those trains! :)
I live in Rochester, NY (the home town of Wegmans) and I have been in every Wegmans in the area,
about 15 of them in "greater Rochester", plus I have been in some in Buffalo, Ithaca, Corning, Binghamton..
and every one of them has the train set.

"Wegmans has 81 stores in the mid-Atlantic region, in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts."
(from wikipedia)

Every one I have seen has a USA Trains (G gauge) EMD F3 or USA Trains GP30 locomotive, plus some cars with Wegmans labels on them.

Scot
A run down on Wegmans Syracuse Div Stores:
Fairmount, John Glenn, DeWitt and I believe Onondaga have a train set up in there stores.
I do not know if Cicero, and Great Northern have a train in them.
I do know that Auburn dose not have a train in the store
James Street they take pride in have CSX main line next to the store. Conrail and now CSX always made reference to the store all the time when doing crew changes there
Pond Street is now Closed.
  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:
umtrr-author wrote:The original supplier of these trains was Ridge Road Station, which was a very large G Scale (and other scale) store out in Holley, New York. There were Ridge Road Station advertisements on some of the freight cars at one point; on containers atop flat cars for example.

I believe that one of the G Scale clubs in the Rochester area is being payed to keep things in order.
Some members of the club (Genesee G Gauge) have been doing the upkeep in Western NY, and Southern Tier (NY), Wegmans stores for many years,
but they are doing it on their own, it is not a club activity.

Scot
  by maddoxdy

There's a Wegmens opening in Montgomery Mall is the fall. I wonder if it will have a setup. Reason to go there.

Doug Maddox
  by umtrr-author

I can report that the new East Avenue Wegmans in Rochester, which opened on May 17, has a G Scale Train. Motive power is a Conrail diesel and there are a number of cars decorated for Wegmans.

The tradition continues...

The Grand Opening hoopla is pretty much over now so one will not need a crowbar to get into the parking lot.
  by scottychaos

Michael J wrote:Do any of the Wegman's stores in PA have these trains?
Considering all the other posts in this thread..yes they do.
probably every Wegmans store everywhere has the trains.
I dont think state borders are a factor.

Scot
  by jwhite07

The new Wegmans on Northborough, MA is on my list of places-to-see-things-to-do. When I get to it I will take note and report back.
  by Jeff Smith

John, Stew Leonard's cracks me up, it's like an amusement park, and has prices to match! I'm only aware of three: Yonkers, Norwalk, and Danbury. I've got a video of one in Wegman's somewhere; sure wish they were in the metro NYC area. Absolutely fantastic market. At some point I'll get my foamer videos up, including the Wegman's.
  by Backshophoss

Stew Leonards is a different take on Grocery stores in general,could use a Stew Leonards here in ABQ,would make Trader Joes,Sprouts,
and Whole Foods quake on their store foundations.
Stew was the "Crazy Eddie" of food. :-)
Have to wonder how often these "store trains" get maintaned, and clen track to run on???
  by mainetrain

The Amherst St Buffalo location had Pennsylvania GP30 #2228 in operation when I was there last month. That was a pleasant surprise to see. :-D
  by bluedash2

25Hz wrote:I've noticed 3 wegmans grocery stores i've been to all feature a large bit of track suspended from the ceiling in a loop and a model train rolling around on it endlessly in case anyone was interested. The two locomotives at warrington, pa & princeton, nj are both PRR GP-38's it seems. Not sure if they swap them out for different types ever, but they have working sound effects. The numbers on the locos correlate to actual PRR GP-38's and look identical to the real thing, which i think is cool.
I also think they all have train sets. And btw, PRR never had GP38's -PC did. The Cherry Hill, NJ store has that set too (the last time I was in there -which was last year, lol)