• Washington NJ Station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TrainBill

Great Site!

by Irish Chieftain

Yeah, ain't it just.

I had a look at the physical station site a couple of months back, just to compare it with a photograph that I saw in a diner once. Can imagine (not to mention see, through the images) that it was a bustling junction station at one time, where the old DL&W main and the line to Phillipsburg diverged, as opposed to the overgrown desert of today. :( Anyone want to postulate that it might have stayed open if the DL&W had electrified past Dover?

Restoring passenger service through to Phillipsburg was on NJ Transit's "2020 Wish List" map.

by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:Restoring passenger service through to Phillipsburg was on NJ Transit's "2020 Wish List" map.
Well, I hope NJT (and us) gets its wish.

by Scrap The U34CH

That is a good site. It has been considerably updated since the last I was there. I have seen probably hundreds of pictures of Washington with that house behind the station. It's been there a long time!

by mikedc3

That is a good site.
The then and now type pictures are great, I have always liked those.

Here's one more:

And one I took last winter:

I'm going to go back to Changewater next winter to get more detailed pictures of the old bridge. That's a neat little town, If you get the chance to follow the old WRR ROW DO IT!! It's pretty amazing.

by David

Great shots Mike (as always)--Are all the supports still there for that bridge that was in Changewater? I see only two in your photo. How many were there total?

by mikedc3

Yep, They're all still there. There were three supports and the two end abutments.

Here's a pic looking the other way, Note the second pier has either been replaced with a concrete one or, the stone work has been covered with concrete. I wonder why\when this was done. I'm going back when the leaves fall to get better pics, I had my Harley the day I was there and didn't want to leave it alone too long.

by TrainBill

Mike I enjoyed your shots too! You got to places that took a lot of effort to get too. Very Interesting

Train Bill

by NJTRailfan

I guess restoring service in that area isn't out of the question after all. I do hope Washington service can be restored since it's only 10 miles west of Hackettstown. Just have a Denville like station layout there and within 6 months you'll have service there. As far as P burg service via the Boonton Line that's out of the question since it'll take longer then if you have service via the HB Line.

Oh and for those wondering my return on line. I joined the Army and I left on May 6th. I graduate from training August 19th. right now I'm at Ft Sill in Oklahoma. Unfortionatly I didn't have accesss to a computer with internet. I'll be back in Dover, NJ on the 20th and spend a few weeks before I'm sent to Ft Campbell in Kentucky. Being in the Army isn't bad. It's a new experience.

Atleast I'm now meeting my dream of being trained as a cop and with my 2 yr degree and a 4yr degree now along with military experience I'll be more then qualified to be a police officer.

I hope to e-mail back soon with even more details. I've been incontact with hobby stores in the area like All Aboard to keep myself updated with whats going on in the area with NJ railroading. not much down here in Ft Sill, OK along Route 44. Can't wait to come back home to use my computer more often so that I can come here more regurally rather then once or twice.

by pdman

Perry M. Shoemaker, DL&W president from the early 50s through to the early 60s started out his railroad career as a baggage man at the Washington station.

by Lackawanna484

NJTRailfan wrote: Being in the Army isn't bad. It's a new experience.

Atleast I'm now meeting my dream of being trained as a cop and with my 2 yr degree and a 4yr degree now along with military experience I'll be more then qualified to be a police officer.
----------------------------

Good luck.

Las Vegas NV is doing a lot of hiring for police officers. They thought I might be a cop on my last vist there, and handed me a circular IN THE AIRPORT.