• Ware River Railroad

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dcm74

Mr. Phil Opielowski will be presenting a program on the Ware River Railroad (ex NYC Ware River Branch, currently MassCentral) at the Amherst Railway Society meeting on June 21st. The meeting is free and open to the public.

http://www.amherstrail.org/meeting2005.06.html

by Aji-tater

When will his book on that line be published?

by w.r.branch

Good question. I hadn't realized how well publicized this talk would become by the ARS. I have plenty of information and photos at this point. However there is more out there that would be needed to compile a comprehensive volume about the Ware River. The line has a far more colorful and interesting history than originally believed. I have exhausted several local contacts and historians for any information including former employees and associates on the line. I also have almost all the engineering data about the line. A book has been suggested and many indicate the desirability of it. I want to be absolutely sure that such a book would exhaust every aspect. Therefore I am asking anyone for any possible information or leads to it. I'm already a member of NYCSHS and if you saw the latest issue of the "Headlight", there is a nice shot of consol 1049(?) at the Ware River coal tower in Palmer, MA. This is the the kind of material I'm looking for--and even earlier. Thanks for asking!

by dcm74

Did anyone else attend the presentation? If so, how did you like it?