• W&W purchased SW7 ACEX 1200

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by chuchubob

Atlantic City Electric at Deepwater reportedly stored ACEX 1200 after they stopped burning coal. Winchester & Western reportedly purchased it from a scrap dealer.
Conrail moved it to Pavonia last week on WPCA11.
sitting at Pavonia mid day Sunday
redundant photos at Pavonia on Sunday

Built May 1950 as PRR 9391, then PRR 9071, PC 9071, CR 9071, ACEX 1200, now WW 1200.
Conrail took it to Millville Sunday night; presumably it will go to Bridgeton on Monday.
  by wolfboy8171981

This is interesting to me. I do not picture the W&W in the market for a SW7. I know some other people who are looking for that type of locomotive, so lets see if it stays in South Jersey for long.
  by CJPat

I take it, if WW bought this from a scrap dealer and it visually looks this good, I guess WW did a major overhaul to make it roadworthy again? Do we know if the power plant and drive are functional? (I would hope so otherwise it is a great looking shell).
  by railroadcarmover

ACE had this unit for sale through some equipment auction company. I knew another party that was interested in purchasing it and I was working with setting them up with a locomotive mechanic friend of mine to address what it needed to make it interchangeable from Deepwater. Turns out they lost the bid at the auction and the sale went through about 2 months ago.
  by railroadcarmover

I am not sure who this "scrap dealer" who won the bid was. I will find out in a few days after I talk with the bidder who lost.
  by PVRX1

Unit probably going to Virginia after being shopped.
  by PVRX1

They also have two GMTX GP38-2 models # 2182 and 2196 enroute.

With the new spur and current traffic levels in VA, a few locomotives will be needed in the south in the nots o distant future.
  by glennk419

PVRX1 wrote:They also have two GMTX GP38-2 models # 2182 and 2196 enroute.

With the new spur and current traffic levels in VA, a few locomotives will be needed in the south in the nots o distant future.
The two GP38-2's were lasted reported in Kingston, NY enroute to Selkirk so heaven knows where they will end up.
  by pumpers

What is the new spur in VA? Is fracking sand for gas wells driving the traffic? I know from posts on the NJ forum that midwest sand is best for fracking, don't know about VA.
JS
  by wolfboy8171981

pumpers wrote:

What is the new spur in VA? Is fracking sand for gas wells driving the traffic? I know from posts on the NJ forum that midwest sand is best for fracking, don't know about VA.
JS
The W&W is building a spur into a huge cement plant that is currently only served by the CSX. Projections are that they will take most of the traffic away from the CSX via the NS in Hagerstown.
  by nomis

At Cheltenham today: Septa was just ahead of Q417 with CSX 8666, 4001, 6427, 2225, 9016, 50, and GTMX 2196, 2182.
  by chuchubob

The WW engines were moved from one track to another at Conrail's Pavonia Enginehouse by ex-Reading SW1001 2104 Friday morning.
2196 and 2182