Railroad Forums 

• GE U18B Discussion

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#140902  by MEC407

Does anybody know where I can find a photo(s) of the Texas Utilities U18Bs? I've searched high and low on the web and can't find anything. Thanks!

#141945  by TerryC

Was this question asked on the older version of this forum? If it was, I located (I think) a grainy black and white photo if I am not mistaken. Now when I look for it I can not find either.

keep searching keep finding
1929th member to join the forum

#141952  by scottychaos

Also,
if anyone knows about the U23B's that Texas Utilities has (or had) please let us know!

im still searching for three "missing" LVRR U23B's..
they went to Texas Utilities, but I havent been able to find anything about their current status.

LV 505 (CR 2781) (Reading & Northern 2394) (TUGX 2394)
sold by R&N in 1998 - to RMDI, sold to Texas Utilities by RMDI

LV 506 (CR 2782) (Reading & Northern 2393) (TUGX 2393)
sold by R&N in 1998 - to RMDI, sold to Texas Utilities by RMDI

LV 507 (CR 2783) (to Texas Utilities in 6/23/93)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html

thanks,
Scot

#142964  by MEC407

Of the 10 owned by Maine Central, two are still in existance -- owned by Rail Trusts Equipment (RTEX) and stored near Montreal.

The single Providence & Worcester unit is now owned by Southern Railroad of New Jersey.

I believe that Pickens Railroad has at least 8 of them, all ex-CSX/SCL.

Texas Utilities originally had two, but one of them may have been scrapped by GE, and I haven't been able to confirm whether or not TXU still has the other one.

National de Mexico originally had 45. The most recent NdeM roster I was able to find was from a couple of years ago, and it shows 13 U18Bs.

So... of the original 163 units built for U.S.A. and Mexico, it appears that, at best, 25 of them are still in existance.

#152540  by SOU2645

Great Smoky Mountains still has ex CSX 1901 from "The Fugitive" on display (fire/wreck damage), Sequatchie Valley has a lightweight ex CSX unit in their deadline. BDLX has at least 2 ex CSX units. Pickens does have 8 but one is a stripped hulk.
Larry

#152545  by David Hutchinson

E-Bay had one of those H-O Lionel U18Bs............. fine, fine model...............

#153971  by ACLfan

One of the former CSX units owned by BDLX is sitting in Waycross, Ga, still in CSX "pumpkin" MofW colors.

ACLfan
 #212568  by Engineer James

I would like to know how to model a U18B. Except, not just for the MEC... Any other roads like Santa Fe build or use them??

#212569  by octr202

Seaboard Coast Line had the most of them, followed by NdeM. P&W had the one.

http://thedieselshop.us/GE_U18B.HTML
 #212835  by Allen Hazen

"Railroad Model Craftsman" for April 1974 and "Mainline Modeler" for January 1992 had articles on the U18B with HO drawings.
"Model Railroader" for March 1984 has a construction article on kit-bashing a U18B, starting with an Athearn U30B.
The "modular" design of GE's locomotives makes the principle of the kitbash very simple: the front and back of a U18B are essentially the same as those of a (late: final radiator design) U23B or U30B, and all you have to do is remove a bit of the middle. The conversion described in the "Model Railroader" article involved removing the section of the long hood (scale 5'3" long) with the first four of the eight tall (engine-room) doors from the U30B hood, making equivalent-length reductions in the fuel tank and frame, and putting back together.

#212971  by Engineer James

Did Burlington have one at one time??

#213325  by MEC407

Engineer James wrote:Did Burlington have one at one time??
No.

#215884  by BrianM

If you need pics of the ex-P&W unit, email me off list. She is now in South Jersey on the SRNJ.

Brian

#239194  by Engineer Spike

I got one about 15 years ago at the shaow in W. Springfield, MA. There was a place called Chuck's Chop Shop. They cut out part of the long hood, and the frame. This was done with Athearn Uboats.