Railroad Forums 

• "Slider" Survivors? (Binghamton NY—Comet Is)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#416864  by sixty-six

Thats an awesome shot! Thats probably either the closest UP will get to commuter service, or the only time youll see a UP freight unit pulling a "passenger" train :-D

I had no idea so many were taken OOS. Where were they stored again? I can't remember.

#416883  by lensovet

wow, that is absolutely awesome. a 29-car passenger train? damn.

i hope these cars find a good home in utah though ;)

#416937  by Tri-State Tom

Interesting that a single GE C44-9W ( 4,400 HP ? ) apparantly has no trouble hauling 29 Comets....

Yet on NJTransit, neither ALP44's, 46's, GP40's or the new PL42's ( 4,200 HP ? ) are restricted to 9-10 coaches max.

I know it's due to HEP but still interesting....

I hope others out west grabbed some additional photos of this unique move and will post-em on the net somewhere.
 #416942  by henry6

Tri-State Tom wrote:Interesting that a single GE C44-9W ( 4,400 HP ? ) apparantly has no trouble hauling 29 Comets....

Yet on NJTransit, neither ALP44's, 46's, GP40's or the new PL42's ( 4,200 HP ? ) are restricted to 9-10 coaches max.

I know it's due to HEP but still interesting....

I hope others out west grabbed some additional photos of this unique move and will post-em on the net somewhere.
It's easy when there is no load (passengers) nor stops and starts on hills, etc.

#416992  by Wanderer

jimzim66 wrote:Thats an awesome shot! Thats probably either the closest UP will get to commuter service, or the only time youll see a UP freight unit pulling a "passenger" train :-D
UP operates commuter service actually. Granted the equipment and funds are supplied by Metra, but they operate it on the Geneva Sub and Harvard Sub. Their engineers, conductors, trainmen, ticket agents, and etc. Same deal with BNSF. It's a common misunderstanding.

It was noted to me by my cousin that the reason they had to attach the EOT to the gon was because of the tight-lock push/pull couplers and the buffers on the Comet I's made it impossible to get it locked on. Otherwise they were going to run without it.
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

#416996  by sixty-six

Wanderer wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:Thats an awesome shot! Thats probably either the closest UP will get to commuter service, or the only time youll see a UP freight unit pulling a "passenger" train :-D
UP operates commuter service actually. Granted the equipment and funds are supplied by Metra, but they operate it on the Geneva Sub and Harvard Sub. Their engineers, conductors, trainmen, ticket agents, and etc. Same deal with BNSF. It's a common misunderstanding.
Ok, let me clarify. Thats probably the closest UP will get to commuter service using UP equipment, not Metra or anyone else.

Do you always find it necessary to pick apart every little thing people say here?

#416999  by Wanderer

jimzim66 wrote:Ok, let me clarify. Thats probably the closest UP will get to commuter service using UP equipment, not Metra or anyone else.

Do you always find it necessary to pick apart every little thing people say here?
Freight units on Amtrak trains are not actually uncommon. Here is a shot from just two weeks ago from when The Chief was detouring over UP in Missouri, and they needed the ATC equipment for a leader. It happens a few times per year around Chicago, and more often then you would think around the system. It's a pretty cool sight though.

Not picking it apart by the way, just putting the accurate information out there. Such as that EL fans will probably like the now Utah Comet I's paint that is to come. I'm hearing it is supposed to end up very close to that of the Whippany Museum Comet I's.

#417136  by rrbob

Does anyone know the car numbers of the cars sold to UTA??

Thanks.

Bob K

#417151  by Wanderer

I had all the numbers here somewhere, and now I can only find a few. Here's what I have for the moment. I'll post the rest later if I can find them again.

1704-1707
1710-1711
1758-1760

#419203  by ryanov

I'm no engineer, but that looks like frame damage. Not all that slight!

#419215  by sixty-six

Looks like the HEP cables were left on some of them.

#419295  by Wanderer

ryanov wrote:I'm no engineer, but that looks like frame damage. Not all that slight!
Yeah. Got to love sarcasm. :-D

#419386  by Railcar_Man

I had no idea so many were taken OOS. Where were they stored again? I can't remember.
These cars were stored at Port Morris Yard after they were taken OOS. Workers then came to Port Morris Yard to inspect the cars, and place the BDLX reporting marks on them. Then a couple months later they started their journey to Binghamton, then Utah.

#419397  by sixty-six

Railcar_Man wrote:

These cars were stored at Port Morris Yard after they were taken OOS. Workers then came to Port Morris Yard to inspect the cars, and place the BDLX reporting marks on them. Then a couple months later they started their journey to Binghamton, then Utah.
Interesting. Just one question about the logistics of the transfer: once they put the BDLX marks on the cars, does Big Dog Leasing have to pay NJT for storing the cars on Transit property?