• Train Approaching Indicators (Was "Purple Lights at Wilmington")

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by charlesriverbranch

I just came through Wilmington station on a Downeaster. I notice that every time I go through there, there are small flashing purple lights mounted at various points in the station. What are these?
  by KB1KVD

Those light are for train approach warning. They operate as an overlay on the signal system as a non vital unit. The system basically looks at the approach track circuits from the NHML and the wildcat. The Worcester line has a few stations with them too.
  by ExCon90

The B&M used to have position-light wayside signals to indicate that a track circuit was occupied on the track next to the station at points where both tracks had boarding on the side nearest the station--were they tied in with the same flashing lights at the station, and do they still have them today?
  by Rockingham Racer

The one east of Ballardvale is gone, and so I presume they all are. Should note, though, that it's only single track right there at the moment.
  by edbear

The one at Concord was disconnected maybe 35-40 years ago.
  by The EGE

It seems that the MBTA only installed these in the very short 2000-2004 time frame. (Wilmington was rebuilt from 1998-2003; North Leominster's 2004 rebuild has them too.) The handful of crossings at the 1997-opened Old Colony stations have traditional red lights. Since 2004, the MBTA's policy has been to close existing level crossings (except at streets), and not to have them at new stations.

A handful of stations still have a significant grade crossings, though. Ayer, North Leominster, Greenwood, and Bradford all require crossing both tracks at an unprotected non-road grade crossing to reach one of the platforms. (Wilmington did until 2015, when the entrance from the apartment complex opened.) Braintree requires crossing one platform and one yard track. Pride's Crossing, Lincoln, Newtonville, West Newton, Auburndale (and until recently Yawkey) require standing on one track to reach trains on the other track. And numerous stations require a grade crossing to access certain parking lots or entrances, or to avoid a long walk on streets.
  by charlesriverbranch

Boarding at Wellesley Hills a couple months ago, I was confused by signs telling me that at certain times of certain days, inbound trains arrive on the outbound track and vice-versa. There were no real-time indications of where the train I was waiting for would show up. I ended up having to wait until I could see it coming and then cross the tracks to reach the correct platform.
  by BandA

The EGE wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 pmA handful of stations still have a significant grade crossings, though. .... Pride's Crossing, Lincoln, Newtonville, West Newton, Auburndale (and until recently Yawkey) require standing on one track to reach trains on the other track. And numerous stations require a grade crossing to access certain parking lots or entrances, or to avoid a long walk on streets.
I believe Track 1 is rarely used in Newtonville, West Newton or Auburndale, only when there is a problem or Track 2 is out of service. All trains scheduled to use Track 1 don't stop in Newton. To access Track 1 you need to stand on wooden boards set up between the rails, and the train has to stop & line up with those boards. Newtonville has a platform on Track 1 that is in remarkably good condition but they haven't used it since approximately ~~1962.