• Transit Day at Seashore

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by streetduck

Did anyone venture to Seashore last weekend for the annual Transit Day? It was, in general, very good as they pulled out a few pieces of equipment that they haven't in the past on that day. However, I was disappointed and discouraged by the state of Pullman Trackless 8361. I had been told in the past year that there was $$$ allocated to repair the damage and fix it up; evidently, nothing was done this year. I would hate to see this only piece of Boston's trackless history(not counting the Flyers) to remain in dis-repair on an ongoing basis. It really almost looks like it's going to crumble in its place. This is not a shot at the workers up there at all, just kind of sad.
  by Gerry6309

Unfortunately, 8361's damage occurred when the steering failed on our Pettibone Speedswing when it was being tested after a major overhaul of its engine and transmission. That work was done by a volunteer, who promised to assist in the repairs to 8361. Unfortunately, the Bus Box in the shop is occupied by a streetcar, which is blocked in by another streetcar which is taken apart and out of money. In any event, the allocation of money to 8361 cannot help until both of the other stalled projects can be addressed. Despite all of this, 8361, bad as it looks, is operational, while none of those good looking Flyers are. The damage on 8361 will take some effort to repair, partly due to the layered construction of these coaches. It is not something which should be done where the coach is presently located.
  by jonnhrr

I was at Seashore for Transit Day. Weather was not too good but I had a good time. This was my first year as a member so I haven't met many other members yet. Lots of trolleys ran and the Blue Line type 4's. The NYC R-4's came out for photos but could not take passengers I was told on account of the condition of the floors. Main line El car 01000 was also out but did not run, I don't know why. Didn't see any buses or trackless, but I understand they ran later (I had to leave around 1:30).

You can check out photos on my FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/jondandridge1/ ... 454&type=3

Jon
  by streetduck

Thanks Gerry6309 for the info. I wonder if any tracklesses will be operating up there next year. They last operated on Transit Day maybe 3 years ago; I don't think since. I know it's kind of a pain to back the coaches up after they get to the end of the overhead. Hope they don't give up on trackless operation; maybe there's not enough interest ? Also, what's the status of PCC 3127? Does anyone know if it's operational?
  by Gerry6309

streetduck wrote:Thanks Gerry6309 for the info. I wonder if any tracklesses will be operating up there next year. They last operated on Transit Day maybe 3 years ago; I don't think since. I know it's kind of a pain to back the coaches up after they get to the end of the overhead. Hope they don't give up on trackless operation; maybe there's not enough interest ? Also, what's the status of PCC 3127? Does anyone know if it's operational?
3127 has a burnt out ribbon in its 17KM12 main controller, caused by an open pilot motor field winding. We had the car on the pit a few years ago and a jumper across the ribbons got the car to move. There are also some air problems, including dirt in the reverser cylinders and Governor.

These are all fixable, but require proper servicing of the defective components. The biggie is the ribbon which must be serviced on the bench, and requires silver soldering on the KM's commutator. The KM weighs 400 pounds and has to be dropped into the pit, then taken to a bench.It hasn't probably been out of the car since the 1970s, so it won't be fun!

Dan Cohen, myself and others were working on one of the Flyers, but ran into trouble with the static converter, which creates the 12 volts for the auxiliary circuits. The reverse shaft, 38 feet long, was also frozen. Dan and I have both been out of action for the past year or so, therefore little has been accomplished. 8361 has no low voltage circuits, therefore fewer reasons for things to go wrong. All control is electric, from small master controllers. No 40 foot rods to get stuck!

The Swiss coach and trailer are operational, but we normally leave their operation to a pair of Swiss gentlemen who visit frequently.

Our Dayton coach is also operational, but if it gets taken out it may not get put away. Then Mother Nature will cause deterioration. Nothing is easy in the Trolley Museum business.
  by StevieC48

From talking to a few members who ran and attended it, For what was used and could be used they did a great job with so little. Also quick note @ Johnnhrr Boston use Type numbers for light rail/ green line and number series for the rapid transit cars. ie: #4 East Boston Cars (blue Line) 0600-0669. Hope it helps you
  by jonnhrr

StevieC48 wrote:From talking to a few members who ran and attended it, For what was used and could be used they did a great job with so little. Also quick note @ Johnnhrr Boston use Type numbers for light rail/ green line and number series for the rapid transit cars. ie: #4 East Boston Cars (blue Line) 0600-0669. Hope it helps you
Whoops I knew that but was probably thinking about type 5 and type 4 trolleys as I was typing.
Another one of those Gotcha's like the Boylston St. Subway but the Washington Street Tunnel :)

Jon
  by CRail

While we're straightening out details, 800 is an R4, 1440 is an R7. That family of cars (R1-9) is referred to by most as R9s regardless of what actual type they are. That train is out of service because of restoration work being done underneath the floors. They are recieving a significant amount of piping and structural work which has sections of the floors torn up. So while it is technically correct that the condition of the floors is keeping them from carrying passengers, it's because of restoration work in progress.
  by Gerry6309

StevieC48 wrote:From talking to a few members who ran and attended it, For what was used and could be used they did a great job with so little. Also quick note @ Johnnhrr Boston use Type numbers for light rail/ green line and number series for the rapid transit cars. ie: #4 East Boston Cars (blue Line) 0600-0669. Hope it helps you
The "Type" designation was employed solely to refer to cars numbered in the 5000 series, and may have been adopted more by the public than by the Elevated. Officially a Type 5 is a No. 5 Semiconvertible Car (even though it isn't semi convertible) (Correctly 5734 is a 5A1 while 5821 is a 5B)
Car 396 is a No. 3 Twenty-Five Foot Car
6131 is a No. 1B Center Entrance Car

If the MBTA stuck to its proper nomenclature the following would have been used:

3400-3543: No. 9 Articulated Cars. (Two Rooms and an Outhouse)
3600-3649: No. 10 Articulated Cars. (Two Rooms and an Outhouse)
3650-3699: No. 10A Articulated Cars. (Two Rooms and an Outhouse)
3700-3719: No. 10B Articulated Cars. (Two Rooms and an Outhouse)
3800-3894: No. 11 Articulated Cars. (Two Rooms and a Bath)

The term Type 7 was adopted to bring an impression that the MBTA was going to restore a reputation for reliability to the Green Line. No comment on the more recent cars.

The PCCs were never assigned any class numbers - fortunately - where there are so many variations
  by jonnhrr

CRail wrote:While we're straightening out details, 800 is an R4, 1440 is an R7. That family of cars (R1-9) is referred to by most as R9s regardless of what actual type they are. That train is out of service because of restoration work being done underneath the floors. They are recieving a significant amount of piping and structural work which has sections of the floors torn up. So while it is technically correct that the condition of the floors is keeping them from carrying passengers, it's because of restoration work in progress.
Glad to hear that they are being restored. I always liked those cars.
Now that I live closer I hope to get down to STM more often, eventually volunteer, once I can cut back on this pesky need to work for a living, which is seriously interfering with my hobbies.
Organizations like STM have a lot of things that need to be done and few dedicated people to do it. It is amazing what they have accomplished.

Jon
  by Gerry6309

It is amazing that the transit system in New York has managed to restore an 8 car train of these cars and runs them for the public during the Christmas Season. In that train is car 1575, which is an R-10 in appearance but an R-7 below the floor. The car was involved in a wreck, and had a new body built. It could not run with real R-10 cars. 800 and 1440 were in pretty good shape when they arrived at Seashore, but time and mother nature have taken their toll. They got a big assist from all of the salt slop tracked in by passengers over the years, thus the worst spots in the floors are near the doors. Bill Pollman is a one-man show, but very competent. He will get those floors done.