Railroad Forums 

• Traction Power Substations & Tie Breaker Stations

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1352789  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"

Second question first.

Also do TPSS & TBS alternate along the Right of Way within the system?

For the most part yes.

Question: Is there a list of TPSS or TBS for the system and is there one TPSS for each RTU?

Yes and no. WMATA prepared an internal report titled Eight-Car Train Implementation Plan. Said document is not view able through search at wmata.com.

In it is WMATA's wish list of upgrades and facility expansions to accommodate all 8 car train operation. It lists the names of all of the TPSS and TBS in the 106 mile system.

I am in the process of compiling a list that include the street address and physical location (surface, underground and or track level) of the TPSS and TBS using information from this and another set of documents I have.

So far all I have compiled are the A and B routes. Shoot me a PM and I will sent it to you.
 #1353151  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"
Here's some info on the TPSS power ratings, as of early 2011: http://www.wmata.com/business/procureme ... atings.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a couple years out of date, but looks to include all substations for all lines (except Silver, obviously).

All of the Silver line TPS are 2 x 2MW for total rating of 4 MW.

Forgotten about that document.

All of the document from that RFP are at Energy Storage Demonstration Project
 #1381669  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"
Does anybody have a document with the TBS locations for the A line and possibly a 3rd rail power schematic with cable/boot locations?

Cable/boot locations are at every cable connection to the third rail from every TPSS and TBS. They are also located where the third rail changes between left and right sides.

The previous document posted doesn't have the A line included, unfortunately.

The only document that I know of is not posted on the web, it shows TBS locations but no cable schematics. If you browse WMATA Procurement Opportunities looking for power upgrades you might find something.