• 8000-series Test Train at Greenbelt

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by TheOneKEA

I just watched a test train headed by two cars marked 8000 and 8001 head south from Greenbelt. I've never seen an 8000-series number before; does anyone know what the significance of this number series is?

One unusual thing about this train was that it appeared to be only 4 cars; another unusual thing was that the side mounted destination displays on 8000-8001 appeared to be covered up with placards saying NO PASSENGERS, which I haven't seen before either.
  by tommyboy6181

The 8000 series train would be the Money Train, which are originally Rohr 1000 series cars.

Now, there is some preliminary concept work starting soon on the new 8000 series, which will eventually replace the 2/3k Breda cars. But, it is still 5 years away before any work takes place on that project as it's not scheduled until FY2019. It's anyone's guess at this point who will end up eventually building them. We will see the 5k cars getting rebuilt first, as that should start around FY2017.

Link (see page 14): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/Pubs/BudgetF ... Budget.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by farecard

Philosophical question:

Can the Money Train carry enough money to pay for a 8000 series car?
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
Philosophical question:

Depends on the denominations of curacy one would want to tender for such a transaction. A stack of 100 Federal Reserve Notes is 7/16' X 6 1/8" X 2 1/16". A million Federal Reserve Notes weighs 2,200 pounds and would occupy 64 cubic feet of space. I will let you do the math.

Don't forget to calculate in the height and weight of the pallet the curacy would be stacked on.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote:"farecard"
Philosophical question:

Depends on the denominations of curacy one would want to tender for such a transaction. .
The standard is called a football; it's 1000 $100 bills shrinkwrapped together.
We used to send C130's worth of footballs to Baghdad to buy err win friendship and loyalty....