• LIRR Forward: Railroad Revitalization

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The MTA has announced a new revitalization program titled "LIRR Forward".

http://www.mta.info/news/2018/05/21/lir ... experience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The linked report explains what these improvements are...

MACTRAXX
  by Head-end View

Great promises. Where is the funding coming from to make it happen so quickly?
  by MattAmity90

I wonder what Nelson Rockefeller who we hail as the man who saved the LIRR in the mid-1960's, would think of LIRR Forward? I've made nearly 700 posts since I joined the forum six years ago, and I read a few surprising problems that are plaguing the railroad. One example is I had no idea that the M7 doors were having issues in the winter.

I have a proposal for the project: Implant a chip into every escalator and elevator so that when one breaks down it goes straight to the computers. That is unless we already have those. It would also alert if people are trapped if one should break down (like at Wantagh) to where it would call the fire department, and keep sending an alert for a repair crew to come out and resolve the issue.

Complaining is not one of my characteristics and we know that, I'm just disappointed with the Wantagh project, but I am excited about the new initiatives to the infrastructure, convenience, and for the flow of passengers.
  by R36 Combine Coach

MattAmity90 wrote:I wonder what Nelson Rockefeller who we hail as the man who saved the LIRR in the mid-1960's, would think of LIRR Forward?
If Rockefeller saved LIRR with the MTA takeover in 1965, arguably it was Moses who ran it into the ground with emphasis on highway funding, suburban sprawl and opposition to rail improvement or development. All these recent improvement and rebuilding initiatives at NYCT and LIRR are intended to make up for the deferred maintenance, neglect and lack of support in the Moses era (1930s-1965).
  by MattAmity90

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:I wonder what Nelson Rockefeller who we hail as the man who saved the LIRR in the mid-1960's, would think of LIRR Forward?
If Rockefeller saved LIRR with the MTA takeover in 1965, arguably it was Moses who ran it into the ground with emphasis on highway funding, suburban sprawl and opposition to rail improvement or development. All these recent improvement and rebuilding initiatives at NYCT and LIRR are intended to make up for the deferred maintenance, neglect and lack of support in the Moses era (1930s-1965).
Does that mean that we are having another renaissance of the LIRR, correcting further issues inflicted by Moses 50 to nearly 90 years ago, and carrying out further improvements that Rockefeller would approve? Sorry if that sounds like I just reiterated your statement by wording it differently, but it would be appropriate for many reasons since there are objectives being met that mirror what happened in the mid to late-1960's:

-Arrival of the new M9 cars to supplement the electric multiple unit fleet further to go with the 836 M7 cars.
-Retirement of the remaining M3 cars :(
-East Side Access becoming more prominent, more shapely, and cooking with gas, hopefully in service within 5 years.
-Closing stages of the Ronkonkoma Branch Double Track Project.
-Completion of Nostrand Avenue, Flushing-Main Street, Wantagh, and Hicksville station rehabilitations.
-Moving towards a greener initiative, and handicap-accessibility for all stations that includes new more efficient lights, and installation of elevators at all remaining elevated structures above the street.
-My opinion (rehabilitate the rehabilitated Wantagh station).
  by Head-end View

MattAmity90, I was intrigued with your proposal for all escalators and elevators to send an alarm to the maintenance people and automatically call the fire dept. Problem is alarm systems like these never work as intended. They are forever sending false signals and calling out everybody including fire depts for nothing. Trust me, I've been there and done that. :(
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

As part of promoting LIRR Forward there will be two "Conversation Event" presentations
by LIRR President Phil Eng and LIRR officials at:

May 31 in Nassau County at the Olmstead Theatre PAC - Adelphi University
1 South Avenue, Garden City, NY 11530 - near Nassau Boulevard Station

June 7 at LI MacArthur Airport Art Gallery (inside Terminal) in Suffolk County
100 Arrival Avenue, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 - Closest LIRR station is Ronkonkoma
Free parking is available in lots 6,6a and Auto Plane lots.

For both events doors open at 6pm - presentation is between 7 and 8:30 pm.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/c ... on2018.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX