• New grade crossing paint @wellwood

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

Holy red zone, batman. Haven't see that much red paint since Carrie.
  by BuddR32

The grade crossing at Wellwood Av on the Central Branch recently recieved a lot of upgrades. There are now cameras installed to capture people driving around the gates, and sensors to sense a vehicle in the crossing. How it warns the train on a 'dark' track I dont know. I can find out more.
  by freightguy

Suffolk County is broke, sounds like that will be first crossing as the revenue generator from tickets!
  by BuddR32

While I agree with you about the county, I don't think the cameras are theirs. Its for combating liability when morons drive around the gates, If I saw right, the cameras aren't aimed to capture licence plate info.
  by mirrodie

Wish j could take a picture and post but I'm usually driving over the crossing.

I didn't see the other upgrades. What is now at wellwood age xing is a large bright red band of paint along the length of the ROW, maybe 15 feet wide on each side. Certainly stands out. Wish one could show drone footage of it.
  by mirrodie

Like I said, lotta red.

by mirrodie

So that red paint has been on the ground at wellwood for less than the entire month of August....???

Its already showing signs of wear from tires driving over it. :P
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

There was a press release today, this may be expanded to other crossings.

Relevant section from the press release (listed LIRR grade crossings only):
http://www.mta.info/news-grade-crossings-fra-lirr-metro-north/2016/09/12/fra-awarded-about-5m-improve-metro-north-and wrote:Grade crossings along Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road service areas will see about $5 million in safety upgrades thanks to some federal grant money.

$1.90 million to fund installing upgrades to three grade crossings to mitigate hazardous conditions between highway and rail traffic...The Long Island Railroad project will improve two public highway grade crossings in Deer Park and Oceanside, N.Y., with preemptive safety equipment and undertake roadway/traffic control improvements. ...
Atlantic Avenue (Oceanside)
Executive Drive (Deer Park)

$1.91 million to install CCTV cameras to record grade crossing movements at 43 identified grade crossings within Metro‐North territory in New York to investigate specific incidents and analyze crossing/traffic operations for targeted modifications to improve safety. Metro‐North Railroad and Long Island Rail Road will work separately as subsidiaries of the Metropolitan Transit Authority on this project. The 43 crossings are:

Commack Road (Deer Park)
Islip Avenue (Central Islip)
Straight Path (Wyandanch)
Stewart Avenue (Bethpage)
West Broadway (Hewlett)
Station Road (Bellport)
William Floyd Parkway (Shirley)
Glen Street (Glen Cove)
Jackson Avenue (Syosset)
Park Avenue (Huntington Station)
  by mirrodie

Interesting. They didn't mention the wellwood crossing.

It's been painted twice now!
  by Backshophoss

Can see the cameras on each side of the crossing,proof of "red zone" encrouchment by vehicles,
should make the county plenty of $$$$ from the fines and court fees! :wink: