• Cannonball to operate out of Penn Station.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

CentralValleyRail wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
edflyerssn007 wrote:If I wanted to take pictures / video of the Cannonball as it passes Patchogue I'd have to be near the tracks around 8pm? maybe a little later? Does that sound right?
EF: For the Sunday evening Cannonball this should be about right - the train should pass Patchogue between
8 and 8:15 PM...The train is scheduled to leave Westhampton at 7:39 PM...

On Friday afternoons the Cannonball should pass Patchogue sometime between 5 and 5:15 PM noting that
this train is due into Westhampton at 5:41 PM...

MACTRAXX
However Sunday WB runs are infamously late. 30+ Late. Particularly Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day weekends.

So it can be tough to gauge on those days.
CVR:

Yes - the Sunday evening Cannonball can run late - it is probably due to factors such as heavy boarding
and meets on what is a single track route east of Y (east of Sayville) on a busy return train to NYP...

I recall one Sunday evening back in August 2014 - I was in Jamaica and stopped off another westbound train
and decided to wait for and ride the Cannonball from Jamaica to Penn Station...I went and checked the west
bound departure board and discovered that it was running about 45 minutes late...Since it was late evening
by that time I decided that it was not worth waiting around for and continued on into Penn Station...

A way of checking how the Cannonball is running if one is waiting in Jamaica on a Sunday night is to look for
a train departing at 9:11 PM stopping at Penn Station only - on the westbound departure board - they will most
likely post the status of the train if it is on time or a good idea of how late it is...

MACTRAXX
  by CentralValleyRail

MACTRAXX wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
edflyerssn007 wrote:If I wanted to take pictures / video of the Cannonball as it passes Patchogue I'd have to be near the tracks around 8pm? maybe a little later? Does that sound right?
EF: For the Sunday evening Cannonball this should be about right - the train should pass Patchogue between
8 and 8:15 PM...The train is scheduled to leave Westhampton at 7:39 PM...

On Friday afternoons the Cannonball should pass Patchogue sometime between 5 and 5:15 PM noting that
this train is due into Westhampton at 5:41 PM...

MACTRAXX
However Sunday WB runs are infamously late. 30+ Late. Particularly Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day weekends.

CVR:

Yes - the Sunday evening Cannonball can run late - it is probably due to factors such as heavy boarding
and meets on what is a single track route east of Y (east of Sayville) on a busy return train to NYP...

I recall one Sunday evening back in August 2014 - I was in Jamaica and stopped off another westbound train
and decided to wait for and ride the Cannonball from Jamaica to Penn Station...I went and checked the west
bound departure board and discovered that it was running about 45 minutes late...Since it was late evening
by that time I decided that it was not worth waiting around for and continued on into Penn Station...

A way of checking how the Cannonball is running if one is waiting in Jamaica on a Sunday night is to look for
a train departing at 9:11 PM stopping at Penn Station only - on the westbound departure board - they will most
likely post the status of the train if it is on time or a good idea of how late it is...

MACTRAXX
Those two factors definitley contribute to the delay.

LIRR has an app now as well that you can track the status of the train.

Does anyone know how well the Cannonball did today in the OTP department?
  by Amtrak7

CentralValleyRail wrote: However Sunday WB runs are infamously late. 30+ Late. Particularly Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day weekends.

Those holiday weekends are particularly bad, but delays at that hour shouldn't be "infamously late" (as in more than 15min late). 8703 through 8709 fare a LOT worse, with the first two being worse than the rest due to the meets east of Speonk.

Last year the Westbound Cannonball had to hold for time in Jamaica quite often.

Yesterday's Cannonball was pretty good, around 10 minutes late into Montauk. 2708 was over 20 minutes late.
  by SPEONKNY

Saw a train being dragged back into Speonk yards from the platform there, approx. 2:40PM, today, Memorial Day. Guess things like that can cause problems quickly at end of holiday weekend if they don't clear it out. Looked like 153 rescuing 414.
  by Amtrak7

SPEONKNY wrote:Saw a train being dragged back into Speonk yards from the platform there, approx. 2:40PM, today, Memorial Day. Guess things like that can cause problems quickly at end of holiday weekend if they don't clear it out. Looked like 153 rescuing 414.
8737 was the dead set. 8703 was nearly an hour late into Jamaica as a result
  by LINYARailfan

Does anybody know if the Cannonball deadheads back from Montauk on Friday nights or if it lays over in Montauk for the weekend until Sunday evening? If the Cannonball does deadhead back to Jamaica what time does it leave Montauk and where does it meet LIRR train 8700? Thanks
  by Amtrak7

LINYARailfan wrote:Does anybody know if the Cannonball deadheads back from Montauk on Friday nights or if it lays over in Montauk for the weekend until Sunday evening? If the Cannonball does deadhead back to Jamaica what time does it leave Montauk and where does it meet LIRR train 8700? Thanks
Leaves Montauk around 1:20am, meets 8700 in JJD.

Starting on Thursday, a 3rd reserve car will be added to the Cannonball. I wonder if we now have a 13 car train?! http://web.mta.info/lirr/hamptons/reserveservice.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by emfinite

The gullible and misinformed powers that be would NEVER run a 13 car train because they're convinced it's not possible.
  by LRail

With the addition of the 3rd Hamptons Reserve car is the now one less non-reserved car or have they tried adding a car?
  by Amtrak7

LRail wrote:With the addition of the 3rd Hamptons Reserve car is the now one less non-reserved car or have they tried adding a car?
It's still 12 cars, so they cut an unreserved car.