Railroad Forums 

• CPL's still in use on NS trackage

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #813299  by iceman977th

There are three locations that I know of that still use CPL's to control traffic. One place is Kenova, WV, where N&W CPL's still guard from Coach-West Leg Kenova Yard, Coach Track westbound, East Leg-Kenova Main, & 1 Track Kenova East. About 5 or 10 miles uprail, a pair of CPL's still guard between Hanging Rock & Wheelersburg westbound on both tracks, while the eastbound signals have been replaced with vader's. Last place I see are former PRR (?) CPL's at CP Leech in West Leechburg, PA. Looking at them at near midnight while both WB signals are red gives you a creepy feeling.

Pics are on the way, will upload ASAP. Lotta resizing to do. Anyone want to help keep tabs on how many CPL's/PL's are still left?
 #830905  by glennk419

There are still PRR position lights in place in the Harrisburg, PA area at Rockville and at South Ferry on the Buffalo Line near Duncannon. The signals at CP Stoney (Dauphin) were replaced with Vaders and the ones at Hecks with Type G color lights within the last 6 months. Signals 960 and 961 between Stoney and Ferry are also still PRR PL.
 #832139  by ssw9662

There are a number of CPL's still being used on the Hagerstown District between Hagerstown and Front Royal. However, given the Crescent Corridor upgrades I doubt these will be standing for much longer.

Almost all of the Buffalo Line still uses position lights (obviously these are somewhat different from the N&W CPL's). Although the signals at STONEY and HECKS were replaced recently, the rest of them are still largely intact - at least for now. Most of them are standard mast signals, although there are also signal bridges at McElhattan and Driftwood (and probably a few other places too). Also, most of the controlled sidings on the BUFL are protected by pedestal PL signals. The Pittsburgh Line still has plenty of position lights, but they are going fast. Since the Buffalo Line has significantly less traffic I'd expect the signals to remain there for at least a little while longer.