• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by bostontrainguy

newpylong wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:46 am its too bad the B&M to Fitchburg connector isn't on the westside of the bridge CSX could just remove it and then abandon from Clinton to Marlborough. There isn't any customers south of Clinton until Ken's in Marlborough anyway right? Then again there is the issue of no locals really based out of Worcester...
No big deal changing ends on the east side if the connection was restored and there is even a runaround track still there but I personally would rather see the line remain active to Framingham.
  by F74265A

In addition to the grade separation, the runaround track is not very long. Last i saw, they were moving quite a few c&d cars out of leominster in addition to lumber for sterling and whatever chemicals teknor gets. So i think the run around in clinton is too short plus no easy way to add a material extension given the geography
  by QB 52.32

Within the light of CSX holding a 2nd priority train pair termed "local" on the WML in their NS settlement agreement and across all of the considerations moving over the very short to long-term planning horizon, when it comes to the Fitchburg sub's ~8-10 miles Clinton-Northboro where they laid new welded rail last year and among options that would drive a reconnection with the WML, I'd give it an awfully low chance for mothballing but no chance for abandonment.
  by neman2

What about the CSX bridge over the Nashua River about 1/2 mile east of Clinton? I believe this may be a pretty high bridge that is still a timber trestle? It's in a location I think you can only get to by water so photos are hard to come by. This could be a substantial expense to replace or upgrade.
  by newpylong

bostontrainguy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:27 pm No big deal changing ends on the east side if the connection was restored and there is even a runaround track still there but I personally would rather see the line remain active to Framingham.
In the point of my post, it is a big deal because the idea would be to eliminate the bridge as well. Can't do that if the connector is on the other side of it.
  by F74265A

neman2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:48 pm What about the CSX bridge over the Nashua River about 1/2 mile east of Clinton? I believe this may be a pretty high bridge that is still a timber trestle? It's in a location I think you can only get to by water so photos are hard to come by. This could be a substantial expense to replace or upgrade.
Pretty sure it is a steel truss over the nashua with the track on top of the truss. I walked to it 35 years ago or so. And it is indeed high. To the point of this discussion, changes to the bridge seem exceedingly unlikely for cost reasons alone
  by bostontrainguy

newpylong wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:03 pm In the point of my post, it is a big deal because the idea would be to eliminate the bridge as well. Can't do that if the connector is on the other side of it.
Ah, I get what you mean now.
  by QB 52.32

If we're talking bridges, track, plans and Clinton WML connection my take is that it would be at least as much about operating on and serving the Fitchburg sub to the south as it would be to the north.
  by jwhite07

I've heard 40mph is in effect starting today from Milepost 1 in Harvard to Milepost 12 in Sterling.
  by copcars

Just south of bridge at Clinton,an excavation company out of PA,set up a very large air compressor with a large air hose running along the track to below bridge with Fitchburg secondary above. Are they setting up to raise bridge on Fithchburg secondary.
  by F74265A

on the worcester side of the clinton bridge then? interesting.
  by CPF66

It could just be routine bridge work, there was a company up here last summer which did work on a few bridges in Maine and Mass. I want to say they worked on that one last year.
  by newpylong

No, that's a dead nuts 25.

If you want to see how clear the difference is look at MOAY in this old video from the first year of PAS 5 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE4BrWu3rj4

The entire mainline was timetable speed (mostly 30-40) for a year or so when they first had a lot of lipstick on the pig. It was wild.