• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by eustis22

>They don't operate any trains east of Haverhill--at least not yet.

And never will, as long as Plaistow has a say.
  by markhb

RenegadeMonster wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am Why wouldn't they want MBTA?
I'm on my phone so I won't go on, but I think the shortest answer is that there is a relevant leverage of residents who live in New Hampshire because they DON'T want closer ties to Massachusetts and Boston.
  by charlesriverbranch

Arlington wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 am Did that Western Route route go via Malden or Woburn back then?
In the 1946 timetable the Wildcat Branch is marked as freight-only. Western Route passenger service went via Reading, Wakefield, and Malden.
  by charlesriverbranch

markhb wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:53 am
RenegadeMonster wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am Why wouldn't they want MBTA?
I'm on my phone so I won't go on, but I think the shortest answer is that there is a relevant leverage of residents who live in New Hampshire because they DON'T want closer ties to Massachusetts and Boston.
It's more, I think, that they don't want to pay for MBTA service. As far as I know there is zero support anywhere in NH to pay for rail service of any kind.
  by gokeefe

That's not true anymore. Reliable public polls indicate strong majority (70%+) support for passenger rail service expansion on New Hampshire. Policy change is underway at the legislative level.
  by electricron

gokeefe wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:43 pm That's not true anymore. Reliable public polls indicate strong majority (70%+) support for passenger rail service expansion on New Hampshire. Policy change is underway at the legislative level.
The only reliable poll is a referendum. 2016 proved public opinion polls are fixed.
  by sicariis

electricron wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:53 pm The only reliable poll is a referendum. 2016 proved public opinion polls are fixed.
And New Hampshire doesn't have statewide ballot initiatives so all roads go through the legislature.
  by swist

It is good to see that some of these way-below-79 choke points are being addressed.

What is the issue with the Wildcat - I would imagine it's the 3 grade crossings and proximity to suburbia.
Not that the DE is ever going to influence the MBTA, although I did notice that a handful of MBTA trains do in fact use the Wildcat.

I would still point out that there are a lot of places (see my original list) where they seem to be happy with 60-65. That's well below 79 and many or all of those stretches are in rural areas with few hazards.
  by Rockingham Racer

The bugaboo for Plaistow was the proposed layover facility. They wanted no part of the noise and diesel fumes that go with it. The MBTA at one point was going to establish a stop in Atkinson, but that didn't go through either. It was even on their route map for a while.
  by gokeefe

swist wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 amWhat is the issue with the Wildcat - I would imagine it's the 3 grade crossings and proximity to suburbia.
Precisely.
  by daybeers

Wow, looks like a lot of work is being done to eliminate those chokepoints: great! What kind of timetable improvements will we see here, and are there any plans for the rest of swist's list?
  by Cosakita18

In regards to reducing journey time, would new Charger locomotives make any noticable difference? I'm thinking in regards to acceleration/deceleration improvement, and those P42's aren't getting any younger.
  by gokeefe

They probably would help. Perhaps most importantly with regards to the schedule the OTP is likely to improve significantly. All the work on the MBTA seems to have finally paid off.
  by Hux

Latest promotion: Take 685 north from Haverhill to any point for only $5.00