• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by electricron

John_Perkowski wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:06 pm 22 auto rack cars for 92 autos. That’s four autos per auto rack, with four getting a fifth.

At a more typical loading of 9 autos per auto rack, ten cars fill and an 11th has two, the other 11 are fuel consumption tonnage.
Interesting point about today's train with too many sleepers and auto racks, what about tomorrow's or yesterday's train in the opposite direction? These extra cars today might be needed yesterday or tomorrow.
  by lordsigma12345

There are times of year when the auto train is busy in one direction and quiet in the other and it varies by season so you probably have to run it with what’s needed for busy days. Busy time for northbound is in the Spring.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Aboard 52(26)---ETA LOR 730A. Station staff reports 8A.

Don't hold me to that car consist; maybe I can perfect it.

With their "rationing" bedding as they do, I've had better sleeps.

The Wifi has worked all the way; surprise! Shower, about to find out.

Shower? still "batting a 1000"; greatest innovation of the Amtrak era. Now arrived at LOR 711A.

Looks like the passenger consist is four Coaches 370XX X-Country, 3310X Lounge, eight sleepers, Diner, Lounge.

Attendant just called out "come on down". I give her my $15 tip with pleasure.

831A; first auto off.

From Lorton LOR--

Arrival 711A, detraining 815A, first Priority auto off 831A.

First regular off 839A, Black Beauty at 851A

I'm outta here, next stop Mickey D.

Food truck present for duty at LOR; sorry I'll pass for what I know.
  by lordsigma12345

7:11 AM - sounds like it was a quiet night on CSX. If you look at OTP of the Florida trains and other trains like the LSL in the past year it appears CSX is trying to dispatch Amtrak at a higher priority than in the past. Perhaps they are seeing the writing on the wall with Amtrak/FRA’s recent court victory and are trying to be proactive. It is funny to see the east bound “late for sure” right around on time most days at Springfield lately. While the current Amtrak admin are controversial to many regarding amenity changes, they do seem aggressive about OTP. If Mr. Anderson can fix or drastically improve OTP he will probably be remembered more for that than for cuts.
  by exvalley

Delta Airlines places a huge emphasis on OTP, so it stands to reason that Anderson would do the same at Amtrak.

Anecdotally, the east coast trains I follow all seem to be doing much better in the past couple of months. Hopefully this trend continues.
  by east point

OTP ? maybe CSX but NS no. Crescent still taking many delays. Crescent often stuck behind a mega freight for 1 - 2 hours .
  by lordsigma12345

east point wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:14 pm OTP ? maybe CSX but NS no. Crescent still taking many delays. Crescent often stuck behind a mega freight for 1 - 2 hours .
Most of the improvements I have seen have been CSX. NS seems to still be delaying quite a bit. Amtrak’s report card thing still gives them the lowest grade. CSX has been gradually improving on the report card and now has the second best score next to Canadian pacific in terms of minutes of FTI delays. I would bet the silvers had more delays from heat slow orders, passenger boarding delays, and mechanical troubles in the last 6 to 8 months than Freight train interference delays.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Add a T-Dorm to the consist of 52(26) I reported above; total 17 passenger cars.

Apparently, with the revision of the electrical system to handle LED lighting, there is sufficient HEP to handle seventeen cars.

Now back in the barn with my INCANDESCENT and fluorescent lighting in my house. After twelve days of the "excuses for lighting" in hotels, and AT, what a relief!!!
  by Tadman

Isn't LED supposed to be both brighter and less hungry? I much prefer it to fluorescent, which is for basements and garages in my book.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dunville et al; I just walked away from the whole experience thinking it was "institutionalized". Everything seemed rationed; one blanket, two pillows (likely one in a Roomette), one glass of wine, one pat of butter. Wow, I was back at boarding school or Basic. For those here for whom neither was a shared experience, try a school lunchroom.
  by mtuandrew

Tadman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 am Isn't LED supposed to be both brighter and less hungry? I much prefer it to fluorescent, which is for basements and garages in my book.
Same, as long as it’s a good quality bulb/strip/tube LEDs give the best lighting. Low-quality ones give me a headache from poor color warmth and high-frequency flicker.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is the message I sent Amtrak Customer Relations regarding SCSA Debbie:

Please commend this exceptional SCSA for the exemplary service she afforded to all passengers in this car.

Amtrak is truly fortunate to have her in its service - she is a tremendous asset.

GBN
  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:25 pm Mr. Dunville et al; I just walked away from the whole experience thinking it was "institutionalized". Everything seemed rationed; one blanket, two pillows (likely one in a Roomette), one glass of wine, one pat of butter. Wow, I was back at boarding school or Basic. For those here for whom neither was a shared experience, try a school lunchroom.
Roomette has at least two. Usually I steal the pillows from the upper bunk too. I might have asked the SCA once for an additional pilow once or twice - I think I usually need 3 to be comfortable in a roomette.
  by Tadman

I recently discovered on a trip across the UK by sleeper that if one consumes two scotches and a melatonin pill, plus the $0.25 earplugs and a face mask, one can sleep on any train, with any mattress or pillows. Also helps to pull the curtains, which are thick vinyl blackout shades on Uk sleepers as opposed to the ones we have here. This included switching out three sections of cars at Edinburgh, which is not nearly as clean of an affair as the LSL/Empire Builder method of pulling two ends of the train apart.
  by Jeff Smith

Tadman wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am I recently discovered on a trip across the UK by sleeper that if one consumes two scotches and a melatonin pill, plus the $0.25 earplugs and a face mask, one can sleep on any train, with any mattress or pillows.
Knobs Creek or Crown. Or a nice Shiraz, preferably Aussie in origin.