• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by hs3730

Regarding window vs aisle - it wouldn't be so bad if the windows were larger. Could they perhaps tack on some NJT MultiLevels? Bigger windows and more of 'em... not the whole train, just 2-3 cars.
  by deathtopumpkins

NaugyRR wrote:How are the boxed lunches on these trips? I take it that they must overstock the cafe car to accommodate everyone looking for snacks during the ride?
The 2015 train's boxed lunch was a sandwich from Panera. Not anything that appealed to me, so I didn't eat it.

But the cafe car seemed to be well stocked. I (and many other passengers) bought food there instead. Honestly I think they'd be better off dropping the boxed lunch and just giving everyone a cafe car voucher or something.
  by Mackensen

Instead of distributing a prepackaged meal to everyone you'd rather they all line up at the cafe car?
  by Alcochaser

You know. I hate to do this, but with all the complaining about windows and food. I guess I should point out there is ANOTHER Amtrak run excursion train that runs about the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB4wZtdSItY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kinda points out the differences inside Amtrak.
NEC unit run train. 14 to 15 amcans.
Intercity unit run train (with coordination from the local NRHS). 30 cars, mostly private.
  by deathtopumpkins

Mackensen wrote:Instead of distributing a prepackaged meal to everyone you'd rather they all line up at the cafe car?
Yeah, because then people can order whatever they want. It's not like the whole train would be lining up anyway. Some people would have brought their own food, and the ones who do buy lunch from the cafe car would not all do it at the same time. I doubt lines would be significantly longer than they already are.

Better for the passengers because they get a choice of food, better for Amtrak because passengers would probably be likely to splurge and buy something extra, and better for the environment because there'd be fewer wasted meals.

Also, unless I'm mistaken there is usually more than 1 cafe car on these trains.
  by ExCon90

If I'm going to be riding an excursion train to see interesting and rare trackage I don't want to spend any time at all standing in line for the café car and missing some of what I came to see. Maybe they could provide optional box lunches at a slightly higher fare for passengers who want them--box lunches and a café car don't have to be mutually exclusive.
  by NaugyRR

If anyone's having trouble booking online (AXP not coming up as a station code), put the date in before you do anything, then put in the station codes. I just got off the phone with an agent booking the trip and she says the phones have been off the hook for the past fifteen minutes.
  by Alco FA

Looks like the Amtrak website is down. Was able to book our tickets over the phone with a Guest Rewards agent.
  by JimBoylan

amtrak.com only gets you the blank page amtrak.com/home
Trying it on 2 different computers using Verizon FiOS.
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Was able to book mine using the Amtrak app on my phone.
  by JimBoylan

Got through to "Agent" at (800) USA-RAIL. She says it's sold out both days.
I guess check back at 2:00 a.m. every day to fish for cancellations.
  by vingong

I just purchased a ticket on the phone app for Sunday 10/15. The website was down for me.