• Amtrak seeks funding for 2026 World Cup Border Improvements Vancouver - Seattle

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jeff Smith

$130m: King5.com
Amtrak request for $130 million from Congress could improve border crossings ahead of 2026 World Cup

The rail service recently submitted its annual request for funding, which could impact travelers using Amtrak between World Cup host cities Seattle and Vancouver.

SEATTLE — A recent request made by Amtrak seeking funding from Congress could have a major impact on fans visiting Seattle and other cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

In its fiscal year 2025 grant and legislative request, Amtrak asked for $130 million to improve service in the Pacific Northwest, and to reduce wait times for cross-border passengers traveling between the U.S. and Canada.

Vancouver's BC Place, like Seattle's Lumen field, will host World Cup matches.
  by Tadman

This could be a big opportunity to straighten out the north end of the Cascades but I don't see how you do it unless it involves some strategic moves at the Fraser Bridge, which is often a bottleneck.
  by Vincent

I'm hoping the new trainsets will be available in time for WC2026. What an embarrassment it would be to run the Cascades service with the old Horizon trainsets while the whole world is visiting the Pacific Northwest.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Vincent, even if the Airo sets your agency out there ordered are essentially Diesel powered OBB RailJets (doing without all the esoteric battery powered stuff), I'm afraid the sponsors will have to bid to host another World Cup - oh in the 2030-35 range.

Oh, and the 1990 vintage Horizons; they're still within their 50 year service life that appears to be what Amtrak expects. At least Amtrak found a paint that will "stick" to aluminum. Had they not, I'd hate to think what they'd look like today.
  by west point

Improvements will be needed in several directions.
1. Pacific Great Eastern station (PGE)- can it take more temporary trains? And at times for arrivals SEA - VAC to make games? What is maximum train length the platform customs area can handle, and could that be extended? Is there a way to separate arrival riders from departing riders to enable quick train turns?
2. Is it too late to add / extend any sidings for trains to pass? What about the Fraser bridge? How will freight RRs for Cascades route handle freight if more passenger trains operate SEA <> VAC?
3. Suspect needed that at least an early arrivals late departures & mid-day arrival / Departures at SEA to / from Spokane. Can those trains get a slot thru Cascades ^ / or Stampede tunnels be acquired?
4. What is maximum length allowed for PDX <> SEA trains?
5. Will Amtrak have enough spare rolling equipment for the above?
6. How can Amtrak get the temporary T&E + OBS for any longer and new trains?
  by eolesen

Bigger question, how many people going to see a game in Canada are going to be able to get the visa needed to enter the United States?

The US isn't going to be lightning up on its visa requirements for a sporting event happening in Canada...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

by RandallW

The games between Seattle and Vancouver alternate through the group stage and the first two rounds of knockout games, so it's likely to be lots of passengers going back and forth across the border repeatedly. Since the USA hosts 78 of the 104 games in the World Cup, I'd really be surprised if someone got a visa just to see the 13 games in Canada.
  by David Benton

eolesen wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:11 pm It would be efficient to use the ferry vs rail... For $130M you could build two brand new ones....

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
not by 2026 , there is a shortage of ferry building capacity worldwide apparently.and as usual its not a case of ferries or rail, both should be enhanced.
Most other countries would add 3 zeros at least to that figure.world cups are great for getting funding.
  by RandallW

$30 million of Amtrak's request is to improve CBP facilities for all Amtrak trains crossing into Canada, not just the Cascades service (although that is the busiest cross border route). In the grant request, it seems most of these funds would be for CBP facilities to reduce cross border times, extend PTC from Detroit to Windsor, and to rebuild station platforms in Vancouver. See page 40 of the 2025 grant request for the CBP request and page 49 for the "Pacific Northwest Rail Improvements" request.

Note also that WSDOT is expecting to have Airo trains in Cascades service in 2026.