Railroad Forums 

• 1946 221 Dreyfuss Steam Engine & set

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1113088  by researchhound

Working for a customer today and I mentioned I'm into trains. She showed me a set which belonged to her recently deceased husband which consists of a gray (1946?) Dreyfuss steam engine, tender, two tank cars, a box car, and caboose. There's also a fair amount of track and a transformer. Not asking what it's value would be, I know that's impossible to say online, but what is a good source to perhaps find this out? Don't know if it works or not but it all seems to be in very nice condition. There are no original boxes. Would this be a set that would likely be in high demand?
Thanks,
Dan
 #1113317  by CNJ999

Dan - The #221 Dreyfus 2-6-4 steam engine was a Lionel product offered in 1946-47. It is listed as coming with a whistle tender. My reference does not include sets, so I cannot comment on what you have constitutes an actual set. I would note, however, that the Dreyfus is a pre-war engine, one of the last used in very early post-war Lionel sets. My reference suggests an "average" value for the loco and tender as around $100, but this would depend heavily on condition and whether or not the engine runs.

CNJ999
 #1114279  by lexon

There is quite a lot on line if you do a Google search for
#221 Dreyfus 2-6-4 steam engine

I found some info with that search..

Rich
 #1367514  by SJC0211

I have a 221 Dreyfuss Steam Engine that my father gave me a few years ago. It does not work, and I would like to know a few things before I start working on it. I tried it on a set of track with the plastic, gray gravel under the track I got with my polar express set. I heard the electric motor starting to work, but the engine never started to move. Is this because I have it on the wrong track? If I have to have it worked on, where can I send it, or where can I order the parts to replace them myself?