• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NHV 669

18 more granite loads headed west over the B&A today.
Screenshot_20240503_211705_YouTube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NHV 669

WJNP departed White River Jct at 11:53 with 204/2202 and 34 cars.

[Edited at 14:48]

They were through fairlee at 13:22 with 46 cars. Guessing they grabbed the propane tanks sitting at Ely?
  by NHV 669

WJNP picked up one car at Morrison's and departed with 2202/204 and 29 cars. They left St. Johnsbury at 15:02 after some switching.
  by copcars

I was in Montpelier this weekend.1st time in 4 or 5 years, did they reopen old right of way north of the Winoski river, the line I thought they used for years had about 15 gondola ,mostly CSX,stored on line.Two light engines were headed for Monpelier Jct on this old/new line at 3:30 PM.The line with the stored gondolas has 2 bridges over the Winoski river in less than 1/2 mile between .Did one of the bridges get damaged in the flooding last summer, and THEY rehabbed old line to use.
  by NHV 669

Yes, they rebuilt that back in 2020 due to the fact that it was cheaper than fixing the two problem bridges on the section in between. Long before last summer's flooding...

Yes, the other track with the problem bridges is just used for storage now. It no longer connects on the eastern end.
  by elecuyer

NHV 669 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 am Yes, the other track with the problem bridges is just used for storage now. It no longer connects on the eastern end.
Actually, surprisingly, the "bridge route" has been reconnected to both ends - AND they restored the connection to the small portion of the Montpelier and Wells River RR that once served a few local industries - and is now apparently being used for car storage. Google maps street view shows the current arrangement, as of Oct 2023.
Montpelier.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NHV 669

Thanks for that info, Ed. I haven't been that way in a bit and the aerial view showed both lines as disconnected from the rebuild; I didn't think to check StreetView.

I had seen cars stored on that stub of the M&WR a handful of years ago, good to know that is still in use for that purpose.