• updates on new and existing sidings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by LRail

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the following: The old American Tissue switch is still intact, although it hasn't seen use in several years. Is there any future for that siding? Also the same is true for Premier Wines and Spirits. The switch in Deer Park to the P.C. Richards siding was only partially removed. I thought that was unusual. One last comment, about 2 months ago there was a boxcar spotted in Greenlawn. There hasn't been one there since. Will that ever happen again. Thanks, Lee

by Scrap em Again

American tissue folded I believe in 00'. I remember switching the wharehouse. They used to get 4 to 5 boxcars a week of paper. It is a huge building inside with 8 cars capacity. There is no word now if rail will be used again in that location. Premier moved to Jersey in 04'. The capacity is 4 cars in the building. I heard rumors that another distributor is interested in shipping cheap wine there soon. We will see. The switch to the PC Richards (Eldee) siding is now fully restored and operational. It was re-installed during the latest track work program that ended last week. There is supposed to be a new customer moving into the spur. Not sure what type of business will be yet. Greenlawn is a DEF used as a team track. It rarely gets cars but it happens. Velvetop products gets the occasional boxcar there when he is in season. He peddles calcium chloride "ice melt" and aviaton de-icer in tank cars. He takes cars in Islip team on a regular basis, a tank is there right now! That spur is only 2 cars, so come winter he takes additional cars in Grenlawn to keep up with demand.

Scrap

by LRail

Thanks for the updates. Can you tell us anything more about the new switch to DiCarlo Foods?

by Legio X

In addition to updating us on the new DiCarlo Foods spur, can you update us on any newly constructed or reactivated spurs elsewhere in the system?

by Scrap em Again

Dicarlo is supposed to be a "heavy hitter", I only seen the siding once while passing by there 2 weeks ago. It is fairly long, guessing 10 car cap.
I belive the first car is in Fresh Pond now, but the spur is still not "active" so it will sit there till it is.

No other news on new construction or re-activations.

Scrap

by Long Island 7285

too bad we lost out on some kind if freight in west hempstead, insteads we have a personal storage complex there where maybe a team yard could have been or western beef could have received their beif on rail road instead of the paved road.

And after the fire at baisley, he never took on delivery again, Is that switch still in and or able to be active again at a moments notice. I still see loads of lumber there, I guess he followd the anit rail trend that swallowed much of our businesses here.

by Lirr168

Baisly's switch is gone and the track is paved over, has been for years. There is potential for Western Beef or the beer distributor in WH though...

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:And after the fire at baisley, he never took on delivery again, Is that switch still in and or able to be active again at a moments notice. I still see loads of lumber there.
But that's not Baisley Lumber - some other supply company has been there for the past few years (I think someone posted they get their stock from NJ or some other place close by enough to not make rail transport attractive).
If I remember (I am sure somebody will correct me) that Baisely moved out to Suffolk, took a few rail delivery's out there, and then promptly went out of business.
There is potential for Western Beef or the beer distributor in WH though...
I don't see individual retail food establishments receiving rail shipments on Long Island - perhaps warehouse/distributor level, but not retail-only food establishments.

by jayrmli

The old Eldee siding, which has recently been restored, will have (another) C&D customer.

Jay

by LRail

Sorry for asking this, but what is a C&D customer?

by Sir Ray

LRail wrote:Sorry for asking this, but what is a C&D customer?
construction and demolition debris - leftover or unsalvagable pieces of wood, concrete, rebar, brick, shingles, etc from building, demolition, or restoration projects.
Usually dry and non-smelly (and hopefully non-toxic), so not all that nasty to live by (except for dust).

MSW = muncipal solid waste, or ordinary household trash. Can be wet and smelly, and hence is much more opposed by the community.

by Sir Ray

Hmmm, their either gonna need some freight doors cut into that building, or else some personnel doors and pneumatic piping/hose if they're getting only covered hoppers (or the equivalent piping for tanks full of vegtable oil)

by LRail

Is there a way to see the switch from the main line onto the spur from a main road or is it in them middle of the woods?

by mainline

Switch is just west of Ocean Ave trestle. Just south of Lipa substation.