• UP track laborer orientation ?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by trackman2b

I am going for my orientatikon on wed. The person I spoke to said that I will need to wear steel toed boots and dress accordingly. Is there a particular brand of boots and do they provide a voucher for the boots. All I have is a plane pair of cheap steel toed boots for now
  by jz441

trackman2b wrote:I am going for my orientatikon on wed. The person I spoke to said that I will need to wear steel toed boots and dress accordingly. Is there a particular brand of boots and do they provide a voucher for the boots. All I have is a plane pair of cheap steel toed boots for now
They will provide you with a boot slip, and with the list of different brands to choose from. I'm not sure if UP pays 100%,... BNSF pays 80%.
Buy the best you can, and the most comfortable ones.
I personally prefer Read Wings, but everybody’s feet are different.

by trackman2b

Thanks for the info. At least I know they will pay for some of the costs at least.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Not sure if it matters, but WalMart sells a boot, called a "Brama", high-topped steel toe, for around thirty five bucks. Insulated, and comfortable, they will last for several months, or until you get a voucher, from Uncle Pete. I wear them at work, and get a new pair every year, around Xmas. They last that long! Probably the only decent, quality item they sell, at WalMart. Regards :-D
  by Gnu

Its probably too late now but, Go cheap on your first pair. After you start work you'll get a "boot form" aka voucher. Its good for 50% of any approved boot. If you spend $250.00 they'll take out $125.00 from your check. No money paid up front.
Good luck and be safe:
Gnu.