• UP jobs question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by cifn2

I noticed Friday when I was online at UP that they had removed the job I applied for that was scheduled to end March 31, 2006. I was wondering if anyone has seen this happen then get called for a hiring session or if it has been filed? Anyone know? I also noticed another train service job was pulled now since last night. Wierd either they are filing them or the applications are piling up and they want to start interviewing quickly?

by UPRR engineer

This is what i told my cousin. If you want to work for the UP, you need to apply as soon as possible. Once they think they have enough guys who applied to fill the jobs, they do a hiring session. The dead line means squat. Dont wait, ive seen them hire two classes a week before the dead line.

by cifn2

well wish me luck. I hope I get a call. I also have put an email in to the UP webmaster to ask the same question ;)

by cifn2

And the answer is............

"Thank you for your interest in Union Pacific. The job posting being
pulled offline can mean one of three things. First, is there are too many
applicants in the pool. Second, the position has been filled. And
last, the Field Manager no longer needs to hire.

Remember as soon as you see the job you are interested on our website,
you need to apply for the position. We take our applications on a first
come, first serve basis.

Thanks.
Webmaster"

by EricL

I got called today to attend a hiring session next week for the Proviso train service position. I was honestly pretty surprised since the listing doesn't expire until June 30. And here I was content to wait til then...

Anyone here been to a UP session in the Chicago/IL market recently? Or already works here? Just trying to get an idea of how much competition to expect. And what kind of pitfalls to avoid during the interview. Of course I know to emphasize safety and to be able to give a specific example on it. I'm not even sure what a good answer would be to "why do you want to work for UP/the RR". I don't want to give an answer that comes off as unsubstantial, e.g., "wanted to do this since childhood" etc. Don't want something that sounds too overthought either. Any suggestions for a happy medium are welcome. :-D

All the best...

by cifn2

Just tell them why you want to work for them, think about if you were in their shoes what would you want, someone who is going to be safe! Also good luck on that, I almost applied for that job up there, but that is a long ways from home down here. UP had lots of jobs in IL at the time. Also yes better not to wait, the job I posted about I applied for on Jan 31, 2006, the Job was to end Last of April. I saw in middle March it was removed, I emailed the webmaster who told me they hired out for it already and encouraged me to apply quicker.

Let us know how thing go ERIC and the best of Luck to you!!

by cifn2

snipped
Last edited by cifn2 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

Wow-with all the inside Info you are getting why did you have trouble getting the job? Don't believe everything that you hear? :P :P :P Also alot of young kids (in your words) do great at working our hours and our schedules---------I know--------this coming from a 41 year old Engineer who is working around some of the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by vf1s

vf1s
Last edited by vf1s on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by cifn2

wasn't much inside information.... Of course I have worked 7p-7a for 3 years being on call from 7a-7p 7 out of 14 days in a pay period.
Last edited by cifn2 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

by vf1s

I have two questions about UP the job 1-About the UP extra board, can I put myself on and off as much as I like? 2-Does the Rosevllie UP Hub encompass Watsonville(South) Dunsmuir(North) and Sparks NV (East)?

by cifn2

I believe the extra board is just working you into a slot, you are used when you are needed, not you making your own hours. You are an extra relief.