• Union Pacific Train Crew

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Cardinalsfan

Hello. So I just got hired on for train crew and I'd like to know more about the job. What will I start out doing? How long does it take to become a conductor? The job is at Bailey Yard in North Platte. I start In May and I'm just wanting to know more specific details about the job. I've learned about the hours and being on call. How does the pay scale work? I know I can wait and find out but I'm so excited to be a part of the railroad industry! Thanks for any answers you can give me. God bless.
  by MichaelB86

Be prepared to study and learn a ton of rules. Training pay is peanuts and if you are training far enough away from where you hired out you will get a stipend to help. Pay dates are the 10th and 25th so be aware of that. I started class on the 14th and my first pay check was for only two days at about $134 total so try and have some money saved up just in case. You'll learn the job of brakeman, go to OJT then straight to Conductor class and OJT for that. Then you mark up. Good luck and have fun. Make soem time to unwind when you can and don't overstress or over think the material. ASK QUESTIONS on EVERYTHING. The study material is helpful, you'll get packets to work on and they do a pretty good job helping you understand it all. I don't know a DAMN thing about trains or railroading but I've done well so far by just studying the material given to me. It's hard but very practical too so basically just pay attention and you'll get the jist. Your OJT will be in the yard.