• trestle just outside of Fillmore - Erie Rush Creek Viaduct

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by stilson4283

I had a guy contact me about some information. Take a look at what he wrote and see if you can help me/him out.

Greetings!
I came upon your e-mail address while searching the web for information about the old trestle bridge that was located in Fillmore, NY in Allegany county.
My family has a rich past in WNY railroading. My father, who passed away in 1967, had worked for the Pennsy RR as a car inspector.
His brother (my uncle), still living, retired from the NY Central.
To me, the railroads have always harkened a sense of nostalgia, sentiment and family heritage.
I say all that to ask if you remember or have any information on the trestle bridge that used to gloriously span a valley just outside of Fillmore, NY.
It was torn down in the 70s-80s? We used to pass it traveling Southeast on Allegany County Route 4 between Fillmore and Short Tract.
I would love to know if there are any pictures of that bridge. Thank you for your time & efforts. I look forward to your reply.
Bob

Chris
  by wdburt1

The county historian in Belmont has some photos of the Erie Railroad Rush Creek Viaduct.

You might also want to try the Fillmore library, which has some historical photos.

WDB

by erievalley

Also stop in the hobby shop portion of the Belfast Hardware just down the road in Belfast, and check out some of the old photos he has displayed there......Jerry.

by nydepot

Also, postcards of this trestle are frequently on ebay.

Charles
  by BR&P

Go to the second link in the post above and click on the second photo - note the barns

Here's those barns as seen from the trestle:
From Fillmore trestle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by thebigham

^Thanks.

I think the footings are gone which is weird considering the Belfast ones are still there.

I'll look again on Sunday.
  by charlie6017

Assuming the land reverted back to adjacent owners, I wonder if perhaps the land owner just
removed them for whatever reasons? Interesting though!

Charlie
  by BR&P

charlie6017 wrote:Assuming the land reverted back to adjacent owners, I wonder if perhaps the land owner just
removed them for whatever reasons? Interesting though!

Charlie
I'm thinking those had to be some pretty massive hunks of concrete. The old PS&N footers at Stony Brook Park come to mind - the only land owner who could have gotten rid of those was Clark Kent.
  by nydepot

They have been gone for a long time. I wonder if the railroad removed most of them? Belfast went through bottom land and bothered nothing. This trestle had adjacent farms and houses and maybe they removed them.