• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2004

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Angus202

Perhaps the F40s will be painted in the same manner as the FL-9's, "temporary" paintjob slapped on just to get the units on the road with M&E livery. ...although the F's did survive the winter with minimal wear.

-Ryan

by denvillerailfan

Angus202 wrote:7215 and 21 were out earning revenue today, bringing 3 tanks of corn syrup to roseland. Wish my server was up to post a pick of the consist.

-Ryan
Looks like the 21 was left behind...
#21 in Roseland
spotted behind B&G.

Also found several syrup cars on the other side of 280 - Tank Cars - Looked like about a dozen back there.

Makes me think - Given all this and all the activity from RCC down by the Passaic River bridge - Is this a prelude to something big coming soon? Will they be taking the bridge out soon?

Jeff B.

by Angus202

B&G has an "inplant switcher" now, how cool. Having the 21 to push the cars into B&G must have been great on the crew not having to shove the whole train from whippany foward. Also seems logical that its been left there as that section of track will soon be marooned from work on the passaic - nice observation. Denvillerailfan... where were you standing to get those pics? 280 overpass?

-Ryan

by RS115

OK that makes sense - back over Easter weekend I heard that when they did the work to replace bridges they would do this - put a loco and a supply of cars on the isolated sections (they spoke of two so I assume either 4228 or 7215 will be the other loner) so that the customers can be served while the main is severed.

Guess they have confidence in the 21. Seems a slight change in practice given how long osme of the other more thoroughly worked on engines were kept very close to Morristown. Hope it works out. Nic ethough to have an RS-1 working the line again.

by 7 Train

For many years, passing by on 280 I noticed that the M & E ROW north on the highway was covered in bursh and seemed abandoned. Now they are using it for storage.

by RS115

Could see into the shop a little better today - one of the F-40's is inside on track 2 in primer paint.

by RS115

Both F-40's are in the shop/shop area in primer. One was outside yesterday at lunch time. 4223 is in the shop. Today 18 has been wyed so it now faces West. It was coupled to 7215, the Alta Lake (which looks like its been painted or at least touched up) and the hack.

No sign of 4228.

by denvillerailfan

Angus, Yes the pics are from 280... I also have some from the ground I'll try to post later.
I haven't noticed much activity (All I can notice from 280 is which cars have the grafitti). How long does it usually take B&G to require a swap?

7, The line past 280 had been cleared out back in April, when the did the bulk of their tie replacement up there. the ties under the 280 overpass had to be the worst I'd ever seen. not to mention there was some good size growth. I believe Angus had posted that shot a while back.

Anyone have pics or any updates on the F40's?

Any hope of seeing any other FL-9's? Hoping for a set in M&E red...wishful thinking.

by nolifeCRchaser

I have a question on an M&E loco that I saw in Oak Island the other day. There was a black Alco with Morristown & Erie written on the side sitting in the Receiving Yard at Oak Island. I looked on the computer at work and found that it had come in on one of our trains from Allentown. Any ideas on where this engine is heading to or why it is at Oak Island? A few months back I saw a red M&E Alco working at Tropicanna in Jersey City. Could this black Alco be another unit for Tropicanna or are they swapping out power?

Also about the NS engines at the Morristown & Erie shop, we would have our engine fueled there because it is easy for the fuel truck to get to and so that it would be fueled on railroad property and not on a customers property or alongside a road.

by Jihn z

nolife... That would probably be the 7215, an Ex-Erie Mining RS-11 seen here next to 4223... The M&E bought a whole bunch of these units last year, this was the first to get painted. As far as where its going, im not sure... Sandy is usually able to inform you of movements.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=64699

by metman499

It is going to Tropicana and it will be swapped for the power that is currently on lease to them.

by Angus202

'bout time the 19 came home for an inspection! hope to see it making the local rounds again soon.

-ryan

by RS115

The picture above brings to mind another question -- What's wrong with 4223? It sits and sits - occassionally running at idle or someone tinkering with her but never in service. Been painted for ages. Is this another mechanical bad choice that didn't become apparent till after they made her look nice (i.e. the 22 which I believe still calls a siding in Madison home)?

Two of the other Erie Mining engines are in Morristown getting readied for service forget the numbers right now will post tomorrow.

Also - does anyone know the why of the circuitous routing on the 7215 move (and presumably the reverse for 19 or 4216 coming back to Mo-town)? Morristown to Jersey City via Allentown isn't even as a drunk crow flies.

by Jihn z

RS115 wrote:Also - does anyone know the why of the circuitous routing on the 7215 move (and presumably the reverse for 19 or 4216 coming back to Mo-town)? Morristown to Jersey City via Allentown isn't even as a drunk crow flies.
True, but that seemes to be how the've done it in the past. Out from Oak Island bound for Allentown, then brought east through Washinton to Morristown/Lk. Junction.

Edit: Also, if I'm not mistaken, the 4216 left for Tropacanna with out every getting painted, if that is in fact the engine coming home, maybe she'll get some paint....Seems like the cool thing to do these days. haha
Last edited by Jihn z on Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

by nolifeCRchaser

The Alco that I saw is the ex-Erie Mining Alco in the picture. Thanks for the info on this engine. I must say that it looks great in the black paint job. I remember when I was working the Dover Drill, we would stop by to have our engine fuelled and I would wander around the M&E shops. I was told that the Erie Mining Alcos were to go to Bayway eventually and the power at Bayway would work out of Morristown. I noticed the orange and black Alco in Bayway along with the SW-1500(#21?) not too long ago.
Did they recently swap out the pup at Bayway? I know it has the cab signals in it and I think it would make sense to have it working in Morristown for NJT use rather than in a place where it does not need the cabs.