• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by tree68

I'm not going to defend the folks who trespass on RR property - but think about it - there are what, three or four trains per day up and down the line? When evaluating the risk of encountering a train vs the perceived benefit, it would appear that many feel the risk is very low, but apparently the benefit is fairly high.

I used to cross the line at Evans Mills twice daily, and if I didn't know better you could probably convince me that the line was, in fact, abandoned. I rarely actually saw a train there.

Given young people's tendency to further devalue risk, we've got a recipe for disaster. Even the most dire warning ("YOU COULD BE KILLED!") will be regarded with an "it can't happen to me" mindset.
  by Leo_Ames

I'm only downtown a couple of times per day yet I usually see a freight train crossing that bridge three or four times a month. And that's in an automobile so the chances of a pedestrian coming across one are even greater.

Considering that there is a sidewalk 50' away from you intended for pedestrians, there's little reason to be utilizing it (Unlike three decades ago when there was no highway bridge there). Better to cross the 4 lane bypass at 2AM with extremely little traffic to get on the sidewalk than it is to use that bridge when there's almost always a train through that hour of night. And I've noticed several times including just a few days ago that the Northbounds sometimes sneak right up on you. You hear them blowing for the Dayton Road way outside of town and then there's 10 minutes of silence until suddenly they're blowing their horns for Pine Street and are right there since the hill seems to often block the sounds from the private crossing near the overpass.

Then if you're in the middle of that bridge, it's too late except to jump.
  by Bigt

Very good point, Leo. Yes, a sidewalk not 50 feet away, leading to the same destination. And, regardless of the
size of the train or number of units, they can be quiet.....especially coming thru an urban setting such as the Village
of Potsdam. They certainly are not going full bore and making lots of noise! Maybe ear buds being used too????
  by joha107

I might be able to understand getting hit by a northbound since there is only one crossing which is very close to the bridge which wouldn't allow much time to move, but he was hit by southbound Q153 and there are several crossings that you can here them blowing for from far away, the only reasonable excuse would be that he was listening to music or something.
  by Matt Langworthy

Perhaps he was inebriated? I have no facts or links to back up this theory, but is seems plausible.
  by RussNelson

I notice in Potsdam that a directional digger has been at work, putting pipes underneath the tracks, and underneath road crossings. There's also a new hut and mast for a pair of antennas, aimed both directions along the tracks. Is this for PTC?
  by Leo_Ames

Two AMT marked GP40FH-2's with New Jersey Transit reporting marks below the cab windows went through Potsdam tonight at 7PM southbound.

Returning to NJT after a lease to AMT?
  by Bigt

I'm not sure about the PTC that you asked about. However, let me throw this out .....maybe someone
can answer. Two days ago, at work (NYSP), we received a call regarding a yellow colored marker with
a flashing red light standing upright between the rails. The caller stated that it reminded them of the
yellow plastic "wet floor" signs you see in public buildings. Then, the caller stated a train came thru and
passed right over it. Anyone have the answer as to what this item is/was? The caller thought it was
an emergency situation and therefore the call to us.
  by tree68

tahawus84 wrote:End of train device?
Probably not - most today are connected to the trainline and would thus dump the train if lost.
  by roadster

I suspect the "device" which if as described with a red flag hanging on both sides of the folding sign with a red flashing light on top, is a operational testing device called a "Banner". RR management (Train Masters and Roadforemen) utilize them to test train crews. They set up circumstances requiring the train crew to operate at "Restricted Speed" (Restricted Speed, requires crews to be able to stop their train 1/2 their visual site distance short of various obstructions, train, engines, misalligned switches, derails, broken rail.) and place this device in the gauge of the track to simulate an obstruction, which the crew must stop the train within 1/2 the distance of their site distance of the obstruction. I suggest if any unusual object is reported on the tracks, besides responding, contact CSX for further verification of what the circumstances may be.
  by Bigt

Thanks Roadster. Fortunately, not many calls are received by us regarding
problems or suspicious situations. Mostly, crossing problems and the rare call
of "smoke coming from the wheels"or "underneath the car". We always
immediately contact CSX in those cases.
  by RussNelson

I didn't call the state police the day that I saw a dozen bison running north towards NY-56 towards the "Sisson" crossing. They had escaped from the Sheehan operation on Sissonville Road. No, I called the village police because I figured that they knew the responsible party personally, and sure enough, when I got to the bridge over the river, I saw a truck blasting its way back north.