• Train Service Training

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by uprr

How should I prepare myself for the train service training program with UP? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

by freshmeat

Just like getting ready for an athletic event, training is the key. Start getting up at 2:00 AM after being up all day and going to bed at midnight and stare at the tv while it is turned off. This is great training for long haul night runs. Take long walks in the middle of the night in dark areas of the neighborhood, especially in the middle of winter.

Honestly, there isn't too much you can do. If I were to advise someone just getting into it, I would recommend walking in boots and taking several weeks to break in boots a little at a time. You'll spend A LOT of time on your feet in the first few years in the yard. No running, just a lot of walking.

As far as the sleep wise crack, there isn't too much you can do, just try to watch the boards and plan ahead. I got caught short last evening. The lineup said I was second out and the closest thing to a train was going to be at noon. Went to bed at 11:00PM. Got called at 12:20 AM for a 2:20 AM on duty. I'm paying for it now, but there wasn't anything that could be done.

Most of all remember, you are the only person that can keep you from being hurt. You must stand up for yourself in the areas of safety and rules.

by slchub

LOL! Fresh...great post as always brother!

I'm rolling just thinking about it! Sounds like my last trip. You never know do you?

I agree with Freshmeat. Just relax, study the books, keep your mouth shut, show up on time for class, and have fun. You'll be fine.

by uprr

I have 6 days left of the 18 day in classroom training. We have 3 more exams, cross my fingers and hope to make it…

by CSX Conductor

Crossing your fingers won't get you anywhere, study your rules! :-)

by route_rock

18 days?? thats it???Please tell me you have a training period and then some more class room!
CSX Con is right STUDY!!!!!!! Good luck.