• Tragedy Hits Woodland Scenics

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by glennk419

A fast moving fire this afternoon has severely damaged or destroyed the Woodland Scenics company building. This a obviously a devastating blow to many of us modelers. Let's hope they had adequate stock to keep things going and are able to make it back.
Linn Creek, Mo. —
More than 100 people stood with shocked and sullen looks on their faces and watched from across East Valley Drive as the Woodland Scenics building burned Thursday afternoon.

Woodland Scenics is considered a leader in manufacturing model railroad scenery and other hobby supplies. When fire broke out in its Linn Creek manufacturing site and store, it spread quickly.
Full story: http://www.lakenewsonline.com/news/x550 ... -residents
  by ns3010

This is absolutely terrible to hear, but at least everyone was fine. Hopefully for the company and its employees, they well be able to rebuild (both figuratively and literally) and get up and going again as soon as possible.
  by Desertdweller

That is bad. I hope everyone can get back to working soon.

Woodland Scenics is probably the foremost supplier of scenery material in this hobby. I make extensive use of it on my railroad, from trees to ballast.

Les
  by CNJ999

The situation is of course particularly tragic for the folks in Linn Creek, MO, as I'll elaborate on in a moment, but I think few fully yet appreciate the magnitude of the event. Woodland Scenics is a really large manufacturer by model railroad industry standards, with 100-150 local employees. Likewise, the cross section of the company's products is quite large, larger than many think and in some respect almost unique. In particular, beyond their wide range of scenicking materials, they own DPM structures, the hobby's last remaining source of really nice, yet modestly-priced, plastic period buildings. If their moulds for these were lost in the fire the impact would be devastating...who doesn't employ at least a few of these buildings on their layout? And short of perhaps Scenic Express in PA, I can't think of any other fairly large scenicking supply outfit in the States. Most others are essentially mom and pop concerns.

I'm not sure many hobbyists are aware of what Woodland Scenics physical circumstances were and how this will affect any potential recovery. WS is situated in Linn Creek, MO, a place I would consider no more than a wide spot in the road, population ~300. Undoubtedly, its employees nearly all come from the little village and its immediate regional surroundings. The economic impact on the area is likely to be enormous and virtually all these folks are going to have to start an immediate search for other employment. How many could still be retained to do business as usual during reconstruction is certainly questionable. Undoubtedly, this situation will move many of them far away to a point from which they will not return. One can pretty much imagine the impact on a company if they lose most of their former experienced employees in a rural area.

My biggest concern actually centers on WS's insurance situation. As I pointed out previously, WS was situated in a small rural village. Local fire protection was minimal, likely making the insurance rate significant and perhaps its coverage less than complete. From the pictures on-line and my background in the Fire Service, I would say that between fire and water damage the involved structures were a total loss, structures and contents. Insurance coverage often does not exceed 80% of the loss in a business.

WS has been around for quite a while and it would not surprise me much if, under unfavourable circumstances that they might simply call it quits and retire with the insurance money. I anticipate a WS rep will post something regarding the company's plans for the future by next Monday and I certainly await any such information, but no matter what, any recovery will take a long time. I wish them luck.

P.S. As of 10AM Friday morning here is the latest I could find regarding fire details and WS immediate plans:

http://www.lakenewsonline.com/photos/x1 ... ics?foto=0

CNJ999
  by Steve F45

This was posted on another model railroad forums.

"Dear all,

As you may have heard we have experienced a fire here at Woodland Scenics and there is good news and bad news. The good news is that no one was hurt during the fire or evacuation process. The bad news is that it took out a couple of our manufacturing buildings. However, and fortunately, there is more good news than bad.

We encompass multiple buildings that are spread out all over the town of Linn Creek. We only lost two of those buildings and those two contained just a small portion of our manufacturing facilities. Our shipping department, warehouse and corporate offices were spared any damage, as were most of our manufacturing buildings, so it is business as usual.

Thanks for all your concerns.

Respectfully,

Gale Cousins
Director of Sales & Customer Service
Woodland Scenics"
  by glennk419

That's great news, thanks for posting.

I noticed that their website was back up this morning as well. It probably crashed yesterday due to too much traffic.
  by ns3010

That's great to hear! Thanks for passing along the news.