• Tractive Effort Question

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Denver Dude

It's no secret that tractive effort is the main (or only) force that locomotives use to push or pull rolling stock. Here's what I really don't understand. Locomotives can generate up to 200,000 lbf. That sounds like a lot, but that's not even as much as the weight of a loaded coal car. It's less than half the weight of a locomotive.

I realize that pushing or pulling something on a track isn't the same as lifting it, but still...

An ES44AC can pull 50,000,000 pounds on a level track at 10 MPH.

How does the relatively low tractive effort amount equal such incredible pulling power?

Thanks!
  by timz

Suppose the 50,000,000-lb mass is floating stationary in outer space. Attach a small rocket to it that can exert 1 lb of thrust. Eventually the 50,000,000 mass will reach 10 mph, as long as the rocket's fuel doesn't run out; eventually it will reach 100 mph;
eventually it will reach 100,000 mph. Because there's zero friction.

On the railroad there is some friction, so the train won't reach 100,000 mph. But 10 mph is within reach, because the friction isn't that great.
  by 10more years

The pulling power of a locomotive amazes me even now. But, the force to pull or push something and the effort needed to lift something raises several different issues. Consider that most of us wouldn't even consider lifting a refrigerator, but can push one on wheels around relatively easily.