• Trackstar vs. Harmon

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by cpf354

Is there any difference between a Trackstar engine radio and a Harmon radio? It was an issue when some power was swapped on a railroad I watch. The disp. said one of the power sets "had to have" a Harmon radio.

by clearblock

"Trackstar" was the model name for some Harmon radios.

The Harmon Trackstars are standard AAR radios so I don't know any logical reason why a locomotive "had to have" a Harmon vs a Motorola or Aerotron AAR radio.

It may be that RR has some special options in what they call a "Harmon" radio. This also can be a concern if the radio required for that locomotive is not the standard "clean cab" configuration.

by cpf354

clearblock wrote:"Trackstar" was the model name for some Harmon radios.

The Harmon Trackstars are standard AAR radios so I don't know any logical reason why a locomotive "had to have" a Harmon vs a Motorola or Aerotron AAR radio.

It may be that RR has some special options in what they call a "Harmon" radio. This also can be a concern if the radio required for that locomotive is not the standard "clean cab" configuration.
Anyone know if it could have something to do with ATCS? The train was a Pan Am Railways(former Guilford Rail System) train headed for the D&H(CP), which does have ATCS on the portion of the railroad the Pan Am train was to operate.