Railroad Forums 

• CSX employee parking

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1022254  by train2

Many moons ago, I heard an employee grumbling about some parking restriction CSX had placed on its employees. He is a negative person and I didn't give it another thought. The other day I was a CSX yard and surprise, I noticed every car in the lot was parked with the rear facing into the parking spot. Not a single car in the lot pulled in forward or hood forward. This is such a random thing in all parking lots, I figured it must be some rule and my memory came back to the employee's comments above.

So is this a universal thing? And what is the logic, if its exists at all? Its it CSX found they had to many employee accidents when crews were backing out to go home?

T2
 #1022266  by Noel Weaver

I have no idea whether there is a rule on this or not but most places that I park my own car I prefer to back in as well. It is much safer to back in to a block or a stop line than it is to back out into a parking lot or street where there are cars and foot traffic. To add to the above, this sounds to me like something that the management of CSX might do.
Noel Weaver
 #1022273  by Ironman

It's been company policy since at least '05. Weather or not they bust your chops about it depends on where you are, but I just follow the policy when I'm on CSX property. I don't really even think about it, not really worth it to get worked up over something like this.
 #1023501  by Freddy

x60pilot wrote:Safety is a way of life.... Back in parking is the rule, unless you can pull through.
Yep, and anybody can pop you for it if you don't, supervisor as well as another employee. Safety is Everybodys Business.
 #1023512  by matawanaberdeen

I don't see what the big deal is. I always, ALWAYS back in to parking spots. Its safer getting out and just better in general. My wife is used to it now but when we first started dating she used to laugh at it, she thought it was very unusual. My father-in-law thinks its VERY unusual but I like it it, its the only way I park my truck.
 #1023532  by Freddy

I've found it easier to back into a space, especially with a crew cab F150.
 #1023547  by train2

Much more of a chance to hit the car behind or on the sides backing in. I am more than capable of backing out in traffic.

The reason I started this thread is this sounded like one of those mandated things that someone sold, or talked the company into and they made it policy. Just wanted to know if it universal across CSX at all lots and offices.

t2
 #1023567  by gp80mac

Freddy wrote: Yep, and anybody can pop you for it if you don't, supervisor as well as another employee. Safety is Everybodys Business.
That will make you really popular....
 #1023570  by jr145

gp80mac wrote:
Freddy wrote: Yep, and anybody can pop you for it if you don't, supervisor as well as another employee. Safety is Everybodys Business.
That will make you really popular....

Heh yep.
 #1023645  by x60pilot

My favorite; back in parking is mandatory, so where do TMs park, in the fire lane, so they don't have to back in...
 #1023769  by Jayjay1213

Thats how we were taught to park in the military, back trucks in so in case sh** hits the fan, we are combat ready... to get the hell out of there :)
 #1025534  by Engineer Spike

On CP they had a bunch of company vehicles back into things. They want the driver to have to drive by the spot, so they see that it is clear before backing in. I usually back in places anyway. I have a full size 3/4 ton truck, and it is easire to back it in and pull straight out.